Common practices For Running Fuel Lines/Wiring?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by snowbirder, Jul 11, 2015.

1. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

I have watertight bulkheads I don't want to breach to run fuel lines and electrical.

I also have wiring going to the deckhouse roof. Any tips on how these are commonly done to look nice and not compromise watertight bulkheads?

Also, my wiring has to run to the center of the roof....

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You can breach your watertight bulkheads with pipes or conduits to run fuel lines and bundled electrical lines. Metal, pvc, fire proof composites, and other options exist. On the inside use large washers and epoxy them to the walls and the conduit. Your option is to go over, under, or around.
    You can do this to the outside also. Separate fuel from electrical as far as possible.
    Need more details to answer running wires to center.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Fuel and electrical runs can penetrate a bulkhead with a "bulkhead connector". On a hard line, like fuel, it's simply a compression or flare fitting.

[​IMG]

These are standard straight "AN" bulkhead fittings. You can use a barbed fitting that does the same thing.

[​IMG]

Drill a hole and clamp on the hose on each side.

Wiring can be handled the same way, with several different types of connectors and fittings. A common wire fitting would be a "weather tight" fitting.

[​IMG]

This one provides strain relief if desired.

4. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

Ok. Thanks.

Makes sense and answers the question.

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If it doesn't have to be air or watertight, just resistant, a cheap way I've used many times is to simply slit a length of vacuum or fuel line along it's length. Drill a hole where you want it to pass through and line the inside, exposed edge of the bulkhead, plywood panel, whatever with the tubing. Basically, you're just making a grommet and it's an easy thing to prevent chafe.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.