Hydromax Germanischer Lloyd Stability Criteria

Discussion in 'Stability' started by badirb, Mar 18, 2015.

1. badirb

badirb New Member

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have hydromax criteria code (hcr) for "Germanischer Lloyd" or "BV 1030" stability rules?

Or anyone can help me to write this code?

Thank you.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hydromax allows you to create a new custom group for new stability criteria, then you can copy and paste some group of existing criteria into yours and change the values that the user need. The User Manual explains.

Attached Files:

3. badirb

badirb New Member

Thank you TANSL for your quick response.
    As you stated i tried to create new code for GL rules but i couldnt find similar codes for GL in existing criterias. Recently i'm working on it and i hope i will succeed :)

4. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

It's not clear what you mean by "create new code for GL rules".

If you are talking about intact or damage stability regulations, in general, these are not set by classification societies. Classification societies may review stability calculations on behalf of a flag state's regulatory authorities, but the actual regulations themselves are developed by IMO for various vessel types or the marine regulatory bodies of the various flag states for their vessels which are not subject to meeting IMO regulations, for instance, vessels which do not travel on international voyages.

BTW, BV 1030 is a set of stability criteria developed by the German Navy for application to naval vessel stability.

5. badirb

badirb New Member

by saying "create new code for GL rules", i was trying to explain how i can create hyrdomax hcr code for GL stability criterias.

6. NavalSArtichoke

And what I was trying to tell you is that Germanischer Lloyd, which merged recently with Det norske Veritas, to become DnV-GL, doesn't develop stability criteria for vessels. They rely, instead, on either the criteria contained in IMO or SOLAS, or on criteria developed by the authorities from various flag states, for those vessels which are not required to meet IMO or SOLAS.

You are familiar with IMO and SOLAS, I trust?

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

NavalSArtichoke, what you say is absolutely correct but it is also true that the CS establish their own stability criteria which, surely, are exactly the same as in IMO. See attached a page of SSC by Lloyd's Register, which is the regulation that have at hand.

Attached Files:

8. Dr34m3r

Dr34m3r Senior Member

there is nothing call GL stability criteria, its the SOLAS / IMO regulations, if you want to add some more parameters to those criteria , you can add and select what you want to modify to check any custom parameters (like propeller immersion, deck immersion, Visibility check etc )

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think we're all talking about the same thing although they appear different things.
    All CS have what they call their stability criteria. Attached a file with a certain rules of GL. Probably these criteria do not differ in nothing, or very little, of the IMO / SOLAS but the GL exposes them as their own criteria. They also have their own criteria for security, fire, etc ..
    Maxsurf does not have GL's criteria but GL does have and requires compliance with their "criteria" or their "standards", as best you like to call them.

Attached Files:

10. NavalSArtichoke

It's not clear that the stability criteria you have attached to your post are for anything but high-speed craft. IMO also publishes rules for high-speed craft, and it is not clear that the criteria published by GL differ from those published by IMO. You would not want to apply these criteria to just any vessel, except those for which these criteria are intended.

In any event, this is rapidly becoming an historical footnote, since the announced goal of DNV-GL after their merger is to publish a common set of Rules for those vessels seeking DNV-GL classification:

https://www.dnvgl.com/news/january-2015-legacy-dnv-rules-for-classification-of-ships-14491

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

NavalSArtichoke, It's very clear that the stability criteria I have attached to my post are for anything but high-speed craft.
    In this case I do not pretend to take the tell anyone but simply to give an example, applicable or not to badirb's ship (which, incidentally, do not know what type it is), on what the GL says to apply to certain types of boats classified by them, in stability is concerned. As I said before twice, these criteria are probably the same or very similar to the IMO criteria.
    I have no opinion in this regard, I limit myself to give examples of what I believe badirb is asking for, and how he can implement it in Maxsurf. This is all my involvement in this matter.
    It is also well known that GL, as an independent CS, no longer exists. I hope that is not interpreted as a further mistake of mine because I'm sure sooner I can give an example of the stability criteria of DnV-GL Company. From that standpoint, my initial response should have been that there are no GL's criteria of stability because the GL no longer exists.
    Greetings to all.

12. NavalSArtichoke

We must be reading two very different documents, then. The document which I picked up from the link in your previous post mentions things like "hydrofoil craft", "displacement mode", and "High-Speed Craft Safety Certificate". This suggests that this document is intimately concerned with stability criteria for high-speed craft.

Since I have been unable to find a complete set of GL Rules on the net, I can't verify if this link is intended for all vessels or just some. It's often inadvisable to extract a part of a set of Rules without knowing the context from which the extract was taken.

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

As you well know, IMO has criteria of stability and safety criteria for HSC, which does not prevent the GL has published its stability criteria for such vessels. Is it the same for bulk carriers or any other vessels occurs ?. It is probable.
    I think badirb knew criteria of GL and he did not know how to apply them in MaxSurf. This is the question to be answered. Our opinion regarding the criteria of the SC, I fear that badirb does not care too much.
    Contrary to your assertion:
    I say that the CS, they does establish their stability criteria, and I try to justify what I say. It's just that.
    In post # 7 I include an excerpt from SSC by Lloy's Register in which you can read "All Yacths". That is, that regulation is not for the HSC but for all others crafts.
    See a screenshot from the Bureau Veritas regulation, the Chapter in which BV stability criteria are set

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.