How to fillet corner of two intersecting pieces

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grant Nelson, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Hi,

I am practicing with Rhino, creating a solid seat. I am having a problem creating a fillet that goes around the corner formed by two intersecting pieces of trim. Hopefully there is a picture below. I have also attached the picture and the Rhino file.

You will see that I have created a surface around the corner, but I can not get Rhino to trim off the tips. I also could not get the FilletSuf command to do anything. I would like to keep the pieces separate, since I want the design to represent the actual pieces used.

Can anyone help me figure out hot to make this work?

Thanks, Grant

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

An answer

OK, I figured out one way (but I would still like to know why trim does not work in my first case, and how I would fillet the results if it did...)

Here is how it did work:

• I created the two pieces of wood, with them overlapping at the 90 degree corner
    • I trimmed off a round corner, which trimmed both of the still overlapping pieces.
    • I filled the hole in each piece opened by the trim by extending the curve at the top (or bottom) of the opening down (up) to the other curve to create a surface (cap did not work)
    • I joined the two surfaces of each piece to create a closed solid
    • I used filletedge and selected the three edges on one piece I wanted to fillet
    • I did this to both piece of wood
    • I then created a cutting plane at 45 degrees and trimmed off the ends of the peices of wood to match each other

And it was done
      [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.