How to draw a hole in Free!ship?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Brands01, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Brands01

Brands01 Senior Member

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to draw a hole in a surface in freeship to depict windows and portholes. At present I have just made window shaped layers and made them transparent, but I am sure this is the hard way!

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, windows and portholes in reality are clear glass.... what's wrong with modelling them as such?

3. Brands01

Brands01 Senior Member

so I'm on the right track?

4. Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor Junior Member

If you want a true hole (no glass) you can simply delete a face from the object you're modelling (select the face, then hit CTRL-X).

As you probably know, it's quite easy to create smaller faces within an existing face. Just split existing edges on a face and insert new edges between the new points. Once you've made a smaller face, it's a simple matter to delete it, creating a hole in your centerboard trunk, gooseneck fitting, or whatever.

5. Brands01

Brands01 Senior Member

Thanks Bruce, that has worked well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.