15m Luxury Power Cat Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Rasman, May 9, 2005.

1. Rasman

Rasman Junior Member

All,

This thread will serve to document the project I am will be undertaking over the next two years.

The current design is as follows:

15m Length
    9m Beam
    Twin 100hp Diesel
    Wood with fibreglass on the outside surfaces

Four Cabins:

Two Ensuite Cabins, Queen sized bed, Lots of space, Wardrobes etc, Private Shower, Toilet, Basin. 190cm headroom Approx 8sqm each

Two Family Cabins. Double Bed, Bunk bed, Shower, Toilet and Basin. Limited wardrobe and floor space with 200+ cm headroom. Approx 7sqm each

A spacious forward salon featuring a cinema display and surround sound. This area is designed for entertainment and relaxation and has a very nice forward view. The cinema display will also link into the navigation system to display radar and charts plus all the other information available at the helm.

The rear salon is a very spacious area with excellent rear views and a large lounge/dining area. A smaller private reading room is located on either side for some personal space. Access to the engine rooms, Laundry and Freezer is also from the rear salon.

Each private reading room (of which there are two, one in each hull) is 4sqm with a comfortable couch and a small table. The couch sits on top of some infrastructures, possibly sewerage holding tanks.

The cockpit, kitchen and smaller dining area are situated between the forward salon and rear salon. It is raised above the deck and sits on top of much of the infrastructure. It provides space for the long range fuel tanks, additional waters tanks, batteries, pumps, tools, spare parts, maybe even a spare engine… There is more than enough room under the deck for everything you could need. It has 360 degree view as it is raised 1m above the salons.

The outdoor area is located directly above the rear salon and is accessed via the cockpit. Stairs on either side allow easy access to a walkway on each hull, the dive platform and the RIB.

I will post the floor plans when I find a scanner.

The Voyage:

I am overseeing the construction of this boat during my time in Cambodia. (Overseas Embassy Position) It will be completed mid-late 2007 and sailed back to Australia with my partner and 10 friends and family. The voyage will take 30 days and see us sailing down the east coast of Thailand and Malaysia, stopping in Singapore for fuel, supplies and possibly some new electronics. From there we will sail down the Indonesian island chain stopping in Surabaya for more fuel and supplies and directly on to Darwin, Australia for immigration and customs, where we will sacrifice our weapons, food, other items customs doesn’t like – we will arrange import of the boat before we sail around Cape York Peninsula to Cairns where the boat will be put up for bareboat charter when I am not using her. I will make sure to build her with sufficient strength to accommodate a 65’ mast for sail power, however the mast and sails cannot be installed in Cambodia.

Ideas and Opinions welcome.

2. Donoa

Donoa New Member

Interesting 15 Mtr Cat, Cambodia

I am living in Kompong Som, Cambodia and with Marine interests.
    This will not be an easy project for the level of expertise here but I think it's a challenge that when properly managed could be very rewarding. Where will the construction be in Cambodia?

3. Rasman

Rasman Junior Member

I am visiting the boat yard this weekend. We already have a 13m traditional style day cruiser being built there. The same as the tour boats you see in Phnom Penh.

Are you a Cambodian national or an expatriate? What is your current profession?
    I am very interested in making contacts with various people as my project plans regarding boats (other than those already listed here) are becoming quite extensive.

Your right when you say it will be a challenge, but with good management and willingness to spend a little extra to "rip it down and do it again" it should go fine.
    As you will know, simple and straightforward instructions are required to get anything done, it’s just up to me to set out the steps. I think the biggest challenge will be to communicate the design correctly, and have it followed.

Another project starting sooner will be a wooden speedboat of approx 20' - The steps I have outlined so far (missing all the painting, filling etc steps) are as follows:

Create hull skeleton – CTFIRR (Check test fix inspect rinse repeat). Unfortunately plans and CAD files don’t help much here. It will have to be done by ear.
    Plank lower hull section – CTFIRR, make sure it’s the correct shape and sufficient build quality.
    Plank upper hull section – CTFIRR
    Install the firewall and plank the rear – CTFIRR
    Float test – check it, drag it, check it, fix it. Strap on some power, see how it goes.
    Install the engine in the engine bay, route everything, setup all the control functions, steering, install drive shaft and props etc. etc. – Check CTFIRR
    Install engine bay roof. – CTFIRR
    Install cabin wall and roof – CTFIRR
    Furnish cockpit – CTFIRR
    Take it for a test ride, have any problems fixed up.

Every single step needs to be checked thoroughly and completely – something which isn’t perfect needs to be made perfect! It’s that simple. A good example of this is when you get a pair of shoes made. If they don’t fit, you get them fixed. If you don’t like them, you get them changed. Setting deadlines is also very important, and money talks!

My long term (5 year) plan includes building a shipyard and employing some staff for which I will be finding some investors – Initial offering (mid 2006) will be (as per current projections) minimum 4% share costing $8164 – with very good returns (at least 100% return) within 3 years.

Let me know.

4. Donoa

Donoa New Member

Please contact me

I'm an aussy too.
    There are several boat yards around. Did you mean you will visit Sihanoukville boat yard?

If I can help with local knowledge please call. 012 520 013

5. Packeteer

Packeteer Junior Member

sounds like an interesting (ongoing) project

good luck with it

6. Rasman

Rasman Junior Member

I'm not going to "THE" Sihanoukville boat yard - I'm going a little way out of town. Talent scouting so to say.

What are you doing for an income in cambodia?

Its going to be VERY interesting, and possibly quite ongoing too.
    The 13m boat has only taken 4 weeks, so maybe it wont take too long afterall, I suspect the finishings will take the longest. Not sure how I'm going to go about that bit yet. I have a leather worker, furniture maker, electrician and plumber all ready to go. Need to find a little more talent and have the hull built.. then we will see.

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Seriously how is the project going on now? What is the look of a classic boat at Cambodia? look like Thailand? I know the labour is dirt cheap and lumber are aboundance so take care.

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Hopefully Rasman will reply 5554X...
    If so, you may also want to check with customs about importing a timber boat. We had a case recently where a sports fishing boat was on its way from the US to Cairns on the back of a cargo ship. The ship stopped here in Tasmania, customs made them unload the boat and it was fumigated top to bottom.....
    Turned into a very expensive exercise for the owner. Cost almost as much to get it from Tassie to QLD as it did to come from the States!

9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Cambodian Builder

Just happened across this subject thread while I am visiting Thailand.

How is/or did your boatbuilding operations do in Cambodia? Are you still there??

A thought has occurred to me to look at building a 'Bali style' small house on a floating platform. It would appear as though this would be more easily done in Cambodia than a modern vessel??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.