Small Runabout Design (Foam Sandwich)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Kay_Mann, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Kay_Mann

Kay_Mann New Member

As I'm quite new to this, I've been reading as much as I can on all topics before I start my boat. I would love some feedback on what you think about how I go about things.

1.CAD drawings of Hull - check stability and frame strength in engineering programs (Maxsurf, Ansys)
    2. Sections taken from this drawing, produced and rigidly connected at correct intervals.
    3. Overlaid with closed cell foam (Which will form the foam sandwich) in strips and shaped to desired hull shape.
    4.Structural beams added to inside of hull (foam)
    5. Fibreglass prepreg added to foam to form the sandwich. (UV activated resin)
    6. Structural beams glassed with prepreg.
    7. Vacuum Bagged and then let to cure
    8. Addition of fenders and deck structure
    9. Finishing of fibreglass and painting
    10. Add deck equipment and have a cold one.

Thoughts?

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You are making a male mould for this ?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

First you should figure out what the use of the boat will be. For example, sea conditions, water depth, number of passengers, target speed, expected ride comfort, fishing, skiing, maximum cost, etc. All those parameters, and others, will determine what the boat ends up being. The CAD should reflect that.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The two usual courses are to buy a set of plans, possably modifying the cosmetic areas to suit your tastes, but leaving the hydrodynamic portions alone or study yacht design.

Yacht design software doesn't tell you how to design a boat, nor if the boat you've just drawn on the screen, is well suited to your needs or projected SOR. This is where the education comes in.

How will you know how strong to make something, if you don't understand the loads or engineering principles involved. The software doesn't really care if you're farther from shore than you can swim back to, in regard to the specifications you've input into the program.

The logical way to go, is to dance around the "design spiral", until everything "hits" within reasonable parameters. Naturally, this requires a fair bit of education.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Put your plans up, Kay_Mann. Let's have a look !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.