how to determine sail area

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stonedpirate, Feb 13, 2012.

1. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

Lets face it, this is a poor crazy mans dream, not for your type.

Serge was a broke boilermaker, sven is a broke pensioner, who without sponsorship, wouldnt be going anywhere.

All the things you listed are rich mans luxuries, and a rich man would never consider spending 5 years on a little boat alone.

You dont understand where i am coming from so let us agree to disagree.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Your other circumnavigation thread has 141 separate posts, on a 10 page long thread. These are my 4 contributions to that thread. As to this thread; well you lost all of the meager amount of credibility you might have had with the living on deck concept, which just pointed out how ridiculously naive and inexperienced you are, in as much as this envisioned adventure and sailing skills are concerned. To that end, I happily admit poking fun at you. You are to me, what George Bush was, to late night comedians in this country a few years back. I free ride to one liners and an endless source of enjoyment to those that have spent endless nights in the trades. A place in which you'll be drifting along, under bare poles, because you're hunkered down in an over canvased, overly contrived, at sea burial device. It will not be a very good piece of engineering in this role, but it will do if you insist on asking of it. In fact, just as good a piece of expertise as dropping sails at 25 knots (or there about), to handle the trades.

3. stonedpirate

At 3 knot hull speed, the wind and current will drift me along with no sails above 25knots.

You are to me what every other big noting, arrogant, internet professional wannabe is.

nothing...

I will live on deck, with my new shark cage covered in shade cloth and zipped up into a soft top cabin like on of matt laydens boats.

[​IMG]

Shelter concept only.

I will use a clear vinyl type heavy canvas to create a soft top cabin.

Solid storage hull, clear or tinted cabin with shade cloth, sorted.

Rudder will be controlled with foot pedals like kayaks.

Light on top of roll cage, maybe a radar transmitter.

Its a deep sea, long distance kite kayak tent.

:)

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Sweet J---s man do you have an idea what so ever the power of tons of green water sweeping a deck. Example-my present build will include stainless rod (bolt/nut)from the cabin top beams down thru the cabin wall and thru fastened into the deck beams. This is pretty well standard for the type of modular blue water construction I am into with this craft. Compare this with what you have just posted on your latest design.Some where between the two there is a vast void of comprehension of what has been posted and failing that or of what you have read. Since the printed word doesn't seem to get thru the cranium bone --LOOK at the photos of the craft of the two men you keep referring to--Serge & Sven. Speaking of whom never had the benifit of the the unlimited input of a forum. Stoned old boy I for one don't see much use in wasting anymore of my time on either thread and in soft French verses hard English I bid you Adieu and bon chance mon ami. ---Geo.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

This thread has gone from potentially risky, but possible, to silly, and has now devolved into the truly ridiculous. This guy is nothing but a joke, and his plan is nothing but a cry for relavancy from someone hoping to achieve something 'meaningful' but without the work or understanding necessary to acomplish it.

6. stonedpirate

We'll see

Again, small attracts small forces

The power of a wave over an oil tanker is greater than what is exerted on a coke can.

If engineered correctly, it will wistand what it needs to.

They told serge he was crazy, and that his rig would be distmasted from the sheer force of tropical storms. 4 cyclones later, his 6 meter mast held.

7. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

All excellent points. That the pirate seems unable to appreciate what these statements mean in the context of his quest is the sad part. It is not the size of the vessel that is in question. Any of the responders who are versed in boat design can likely design a 10' boat capable of such a trip. Where the rub comes is in designing the 10 footer that is capable of safely carrying an adult human on the trip. When that task is compounded by the apparent arrogance shown by the pirate, the outcome becomes even more certain. I firmly believe the quest is possible, but evidently not by the pirate.

8. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Good Luck.

9. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

So, you promise that you won't take an EPIRB with you, then?

Not fair to transfer the burden onto others now is it?

PDW

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Well, I had taken you for serious before, but the picture of a park bench and a gazebo installed on the deck of a 10' boat intended for ocean crossing looks like trolling now...

11. stonedpirate

its a concept, not a design

I hate that argument. EPIRBS are like insurance companies. They make a profit out of their sale. epirb = $800 multiplied by 100's of thousands sold minus the cost of rescues = profit.

12. stonedpirate

And dont cry to me about tax payers money, i have been a tax payer my whole life.

13. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Utter rubbish demonstrating your delusions.

What this boils down to is, you want to take stupid chances yet expect other people to risk their lives & money to save your butt when things go wrong. If you had even 1/10 of the guts that your bravado tries to claim, you'd have sufficient confidence in what you're doing to take your chances.

Since you won't, that puts you squarely into the cowardly blowhard category.

BTW, once you get out of Australia's SAR zone heading west, good luck with triggering the EPIRB in hopes of being rescued. Other, better equipped & skilled, have died waiting.

As for the taxpayer argument, another crock that's not even worth addressing. Face it, boy, you're a clueless wannabe.

PDW

14. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Hi, Stoned.

I think you should study boat design a bit. It is a fascinating field of study in itself.

If you ever do, you will find there are definite limits to what you can and cannot do.

For instance, the boat in this drawing would need a lead mine in its keel to stay upright. Being as deep sectioned as it is, there will be very little buoyancy shift to the low side to counteract the boat's heeling. For this reason, you would be forced to rely on what is called 'pendular stability'. That is having the Vertical Center of Gravity (VCG) below the Center of Buoyancy (CB).

To accomplish this, the keel would have to be so heavy it would use up all or most of the displacement of the hull, leaving little or nothing left for stores.

Almost every boat you see, except for a submarine, has its VCG above its CB. This is possible because, as the boat heels, the CB shifts to the low side further than the VCG and lifts the low side, righting the boat. There is a limit to how far the to the low side the CB can shift. Once this limit is reached and the VCG shifts further that way, the boat capsizes.

I'm reminded of a funny story one of my instructors told about when he was doing work overseas. Some government officials there built an air conditioned office on top of one of the local fishing boats. In port, it was very comfortable. The skeptical instructor was invited for ride. Once the boat got into a sea way and started rolling, he knew that the roll period was too long, so jumped overboard along with a fellow NA, who also came on the trip,(who had come to the same conclusion). Shortly afterward, the vessel capsized.

This is an example of what can happen if you simply wing it when it comes to designing a boat.

Had the officials who decided to put this heavy office on top of this boat had access to the means of calculating this boat's hydrostatics, they would have known their air conditioned office idea was out of the question. They may have decided to air condition the boats rough interior instead.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.

15. stonedpirate

Sharpii is why i make these random concept posts :)

Only one on the forum that isnt full of it.

In my defence, these concept sketches were never plans for a final build.

Just a rough idea of dimensions. For example, the kite chair above is 8 foot by 4 foot.

To create enough room for storage it would need to be that fat and was planning on having a bulb keel attached with the idea of having my 100kg of water at the bottom for additional ballast and all stores below the water line.

Lets face it, if i said i was crossing the atlantic in one of these boats, you would think was equally full of ****.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are little more than floating boxes.

But yes, before final hull construction, i will import the hull into a better peice of software to determine hydrostatics then make a 4:1 scale radio controlled model and test in in scale storms.

Believe it or not, i have read a fair few yacht design books, most of the most well known ones out there.

More than liklely my final build will be a 10 footer with a cabin and conventional sail rig, was just brainstorming with the long distance kayak.

I still think a heavily constructed sit on top kayak with soft top shelter and kite power is a good idea for long distance coastal cruising, just not at 8 feet.

A 14 footer could be less fat, faster etc.

Some people have no imagination :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.