North Sea German crabcutter

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Anthony Appleyard, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Anthony Appleyard

Anthony Appleyard Anthony Appleyard

[​IMG]

I found this CGI (computer generated imagery) model on a website. Please:-

How long is the real boat? The CGI model rendered at about 5 feet 4 inches long (bow to stern, ignoring the rowboat on a davit).

How realistic is it?

The copper-coloured object about 40% of the way back from the bow to the stern :: what is it for? It seems to have a stoke-hatch near its base at each side.

2. Anthony Appleyard

If I scaled it to 10 times the size (about 54 feet long), a man could about stand upright in its cabin. (I used the CGI package called Poser.)

3. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

My guess is that it is a 'copper' for boiling the crabs, and together with the white and brown raised edge tables for and aft of the copper it forms a workstation for preparing the crabs on board.

However, it is enclosed, which makes it look as if it is intended to take (steam) pressure. Perhaps the enclosure is just to prevent boiling water and half done crabs slopping about on deck in a chop.

4. Anthony Appleyard

Thanks.

But please, how long is the boat in reality? Is my guess at 54 feet long, anywhere near reality?

The brown "door" near the bottom of the copper :: is it the stoke hatch for fuel? If so, were the crabs and the water put in somewhere at the top which is not represented in this rather simplified CGI model?

In the CGI model, one of the masts hinges down each side, each lowering into the sea one of the "curtains" with the red balls along its lower edge. Is that "curtain" an over-simplified fishing net, or a crab-pot-recovering device, or what?

5. Heimfried

Heimfried Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.