How to Create Lines From A Simple Drawing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Southern Cross, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Southern Cross

Southern Cross Senior Member

For some reason I wasn't notified of the last two posts. Damn.

Anyway, I have in fact been sweating it. It's still fun though - as long as I'm learning in the process.

My boat is an hours drive away and I can only get there once a week. I try to anticipate all the equipment I will need when going to work on it. Sometimes I fall short. Last week I realized that the measurements I was taking were not equidistant to each other. The tripod would not extend high enough and keeping my laser parallel to the hull's centerline was difficult.

So I came home and thought about it and ended up building some wooden contraption that will slide on an aluminum rail strapped to my mast laying level parallel to the boats center line. The top of the contraption will have an arm also attached to the boats centerline at the deck. I predrilled 80 holes and measured the height of each one not knowing exactly which half dozen I will end up using. The laser will be bolted into these holes (there's a little screw hole). I'll take 6 or so measurements, then slide down to the next station, etc, etc. the bow has a fine entry. I may take more measurements there. Then there's the keel.

Had I a better understanding of the capabilities of the CAD software I would probably agree that this is in large part overkill. Given that I have so little time to work on the boat, I don't mind taking extra precautions. I used only available materials to make this thing. I'm sick of going to the hardware store. But I realized I could have built a scaffold out of aluminum that attached to the hull and set the laser on a dolly. Short of a 3D laser scan, the results would have been pretty accurate.

I go tomorrow. Wish me luck.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

A first approach. We still have to work hard on it.

Attached Files:

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Looks good. A couple hundred hours fairing with a digital misery board and she will be ready for paint.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

No, my friend, once checked some dimensions, you can have a good smoothing plane in 20 or 25 hours.

5. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I was joking about how much work it would be physically building. Digitally it's just averaging isn't it?

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

A large ship can cost around 250 hours to get the "fairing" to generate the construction plans.
    Certainly doing work on a computer screen, digitally. For the old manual procedure can be many more hours.
    In this boat, as we invested some hours previously, hopefully not missing many more.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.