Looking for input on my cabin redesign

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Skua, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Skua

Skua Senior Member

It's overall a 28 ft flybridge cruiser with a 10 ft beam . Used some home interior design software to rough out the plan. This is the first draft. It's not quite to scale or dimension, it's just a starting point. Galley, head, and v-berth are only for reference. So what's you opinion?

Attached Files:

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You have to find space for the engines and some other equipment that a ship needs to operate.
    Keep in mind, too, that the structural elements, insulation, etc.. can reduce some of the accommodation spaces.
    Draw various cross sections of the boat to check if things actually fit in places where you have placed them.

3. Skua

Skua Senior Member

All that is already there. This a remodel of the cabin of an existing and functional boat. The cabin was measured out, and allowing for variances within an inch or two, the interior components were roughed in for aesthetic and functional considerations. Original cabin was removed for access to leaking gas tank. For example the cabin entrance at the stern requires a 2ft step down to the cabin deck. I have incorporated a storage cabinet/ stairs into the rear bulkhead.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I'm sorry, I have not been able to see that "all that" was already there.

5. Skua

Skua Senior Member

Sorry I didn't include it. It all works and isn't moving from where it is. Just looking for some opinions on the cabin layout look and feel. I'll convert some other views and post them up tonight.

6. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Delete the bulkhead between the galley and salon to open the space up. Delete all the foo foo at the aft bulkhead and use the space for a separate shower in the head.

The berths also look too long, maybe take some space there too for a hanging locker one side and maybe a row of drawers opposite?

What you have going on at the aft bulkhead is all wasted space, looks like a land bound interior designers idea of what a boat should look like.

Steve :)

7. Skua

Skua Senior Member

The bulkheads at the galley and head , support the forward weather deck and flybridge. The galley and head are there already, only minor facelift for them . Currently only partial deck in salon. We need storage space, hence my idea for combination steps, cabinet. Also I'm looking toward a sleeper sofa for the kids and occasional visitors. The sofa/chaise lounge is 81 inches in length (poorly rendered here) and converts to another bunk.

On the starboard side (where the cabinet /steps are) I turned the original cabinet from facing in to facing forward. On the port side the space was a "door" for the lower "berth" which was a cave. This was eliminated, and the deck lowered 3 inches, so it was a common height all across the beam. The space occupied by the new design was repurposed as it wasn't available to start.

8. Skua

Skua Senior Member

Reversed the cabin layout.

Attached Files:

9. Skua

Skua Senior Member

And a couple of quasi 3d interior shots

Attached Files:

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

A little large windows, right?.
    Sides, as structural elements, do not exist.
    The corners of doors and windows should be rounded.
    In my opinion, everything is very minimalist, looks more like a cheap apartment on the beach than a pleasure boat.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Aside for some not realizing the limitations of the software package you're using, I think you're doing fine. I think either of the arrangements will do. Berths should be a minimum of 6' 6" to get comfortable. A drop leaf table on the head bulkhead is a good idea for the settee, maybe can also drop down to support a convertible berth too.

12. Skua

Skua Senior Member

The drop leaf table is part of the plan. The sofa also converts to a bed, it opens to 84 inches long. I'm working on an idea that makes the cabinet/step construction a berth as well. I got that idea from my fiance. Realistically the boat is cramped with 4 adults, so I don't really need a ton of sleeping accommodation. Just something for the grandkids, and maybe the occasional, son in law.

13. Skua

Skua Senior Member

"A little large windows, right?.:

My windows are aluminium framed sliders, 26 inches high by 136 inches long. They are the support for the flybridge, came that way. They turn the boat into a solar oven on sunny days, LOL.

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I think your layout is fine. You can push things around a fair bit, but yours is functional and has usual things we like to see.

3M sells a film product that will reduce the UV A & B into the boat by about 98%, plus a huge heat transmission differential and greatly reinforces the glass/plastic. It's not cheap, but you don't have many windows. The other half made be get it installed at our home (about 30 windows), after I mistakenly told her about it's ballistic and UV properties. $3,000 later, I really wish I'd kept my mouth shut.

15. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

With some waves outside your chairs will slide around.
    The fruit platter will most likely not survive the first day on the water.
    I see a reasonable concept as a house boat but also a huge waste of space/volume. Where are the lockers, storages, etc? Not even a wardrobe.
    The toilet compartment offers little space for a shower (as far as I can see)
    I find the galley's double sink too large compared with the overall size of the vessel; the hob sits too close to the bulkhead. There will be issues with greasy grime and heat.
    And like TANSL said: it is all corners and edges. Even the hull. What you have there is a concept, but you posted it too early. Work out some details
    :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.