New Boat Build

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by harshjaiswal, Jun 4, 2012.

1. harshjaiswal

harshjaiswal Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. We have started building a new boat in India based on Bruce Roberts design with a few modifications of our own. The boat is being built in Steel and I was looking for suggestions. We were thinking of completing the hull in Steel and building the cabin top with Fiberglass. The idea is that its alot easier to give complex shapes with Fiberglass than steel and also can be built more quickly.

I am attaching a rendered pic of the boat we are building with minor modifications in the cabin top from original.Please let me know of your suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. hacaoideas

hacaoideas Mr

I think that's a fair design.

However, I'm bored with that shape. Nowadays, there're so many boats with that popular shape. On your next design, why don't try something new by pulling the cabin to the front, giving place for a larger deck aft.

Just my idea!

My compliments and best wishes on your work. I'm from Vietnam.

3. harshjaiswal

Thanks man. We have started the hull plating and should be done this week. The main thing I am wondering about is that if I can use fiberglass for cabin top instead of steel...Good Idea??? Bad Idea???

4. hacaoideas

hacaoideas Mr

I'm just an undergraduate, 2nd year. I'm lack of experience to asset the construction process.

Generally speaking fiberglass is a good material that can be shaped with ease. However, it's hard to recycle and it requires better trained workers...if you have a fine crew at hand, so just speed up and mold the fiber into the cabin quickly....else, changing the material in the midst of a hurried job would create lots of confusion....(I think so)

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Harsh,

It isnt that atypical to have a fiberglass superstructure with a steel hull. But building it is a very different process, and unless you have workers failure with glass it could become a problem.

6. harshjaiswal

My workers have no idea on how to build using fiberglass qnd neither do i. I guess we will have to learn as we go along. But i see your point. I want to sell the boat eventually but i dont know if any buyer would be interested in buying this boat moreover i dont know how much to price it. Anyways thanks for the suggestion.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you want resale value, stick with known build methods and material combinations.

8. harshjaiswal

thanks for the advice PAR. I guess I will stick to complete steel then. BTW, how do we assess the value of a boat? if I sell it brand new, how do I put a value?

9. PAR

Are you sure this is something you want to do? I ask because most attempting a venture such as this have a better grasp on the industry, techniques, trends, etc.

You don't have to be all steel, the super structure can be one of several commonly employed materials, though if you haven't a clue, maybe all steel is the reasonable way to go.

10. harshjaiswal

technique wise I am a pro in steel n aluminum and minor things like insulation I have figured after reading alot of discussions n articles. i do have no idea how to build a fiberglass structure. trends - i have done enough research to know the industry standards.

what i havent figured is how to price the thing considering i am a new builder. i know i should price it lower than others if i want to make this my living although i am giving the best stuff out there which not even companies like broom n galeon do. but anyways...i guess ill figure it out when the time comes.

11. PAR

How do you know what the value of a house or car is, when you go to buy one?

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

how hard is it to price something ?

Add up all you have spent on material purchase, rental of premises, multiply the hours spent x a suitable hourly rate.

You HAVE kept all the spending records I presume ?

Now - see if anyone wants the boat !

Its too late if you are committed to the build, to find out if there are potential buyers.

You may like to review the thread

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/all-things-boats-and-boating/pardon-me-talking-about-42020.html

13. harshjaiswal

Thanks for the advice everyone. Like everyone said, will worry about the price if and when the time comes.

Anyways the build is coming nicely. The hull is almost complete and will be starting with the superstructure soon. The hull plating took a decent amount of time.

Ordered the paint and the insulation and now waiting for the delivery. Will be using armaflex 25mm as insulation as I found that it is a decent insulator considering foam insulation is not available.

Thanks everyone. Will post pics soon.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.