Method of assembly wood to steel

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by wailingdave, Mar 8, 2012.

1. wailingdave

wailingdave Junior Member

Aloha, we are renovating a steel hull converted motor sailor wheelhouse. The new one will be hardwood.. Question what is the preferred method of attaching the wood framed wheelhouse to the steel deck and any suggestions for what type of wood joinery to use at corners,doors and windows,, Please point me in the right direction.. Mahalo for the help and for having this website....WailingDave (blues power):cool:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Corners on boats should be lapped. Miters open up when the wood dries. Through bolting a cleat would be my preferred method of attaching a whellhouse.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

wood and steel have very different expansion/moisture properties, therefore you need mechanical fastening with through bolts. Typically you would space through bolts about every six to eight inches thorough a wood sole plate through the metal deck or flange of the hull. Also where the wood meets the steel, you will need flexible gaskets for the same reason, or it will leak with any permanent hard adhesive/sealant.

Than from the sole plate you build up the super structure out of wood, complete with fiberglass, paint, etc. Always keep in mind when working out the details that the connection at the wood/steel interface will always have a small amount of relative movement between the two materials. Use a thick flexible gasket, slightly over-sized or slotted holes, and other measures must be considered. When it is hot, steel gets larger and wood shrinks, when it is cold and wet, steel shrinks, and wood can expand as it absorbs moisture.

Do that and it should hold up for a long time.

4. wailingdave

A big thank you

Aloha, thanks for the reply, good info, so could you please direct me to some examples of wood joinery typ. used on sailing vessels cabins and such, i'm looking for examples that are clean to look but strong,, many Mahalos from WailingDave:cool:

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hmm Joinery.

Next to me in the shipyard is a beautiful motorsailor going thru refit. Wheelhouse was replaced. The new house is plywood, epoxy, glass with a 4mm veneer of teak vacume bagged to the outside. I didnt see the interior finish. Exterior looks spectacular.

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Puako!

What kind of hardwood is it?

-Tom

7. wailingdave

what kind of hard wood

Mahao for responding,, the wood we have to use is old stock well dryed, Yellow heart and Angelique, and I have some local woods for decrative function parts (Milo,Koa,Keavie/mesqute, oh and I beleave some Wana ocotea rubra... Aloha,,,,, WailingDave:cool:

8. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Nice.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.