How to build the sailboat in London?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mainsailman, Aug 20, 2009.

1. mainsailman

mainsailman Junior Member

Hi there,
    I'm living in London (in Westminster to be exact), and very interested in owning little sailboat. So far the most affordable option for me is self build of something like the DIDI 26 design by Dudley Dix or similar. But to build something this size I need free space or workshop. We're living in flat, there's no garden, we don't have any property in the countryside. I just don't know how to start, I've tried to search a boatshed for rent nearby or inside London, but didn't find any. Probably it's completely stupid idea to make a boat in London, probably not. Could somebody give me an advice, or share experience how to make my dream come true.
    Any and all opinions or advice welcome.
    Thanks

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

you have my full sympathy I cant find space here either, have 5000 sq/m garden but the noise would upset people
    I would say, you need to be very close to the build, because it will consume your life, that is the nature of it
    If you have a spare room? you could make all the frames it it and lots of componants
    or go to one of those UK canal boat forums to ask
    cheers
    or give QE11 A bell she has lots of room there

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

The new river service that is slowly getting up to speed, contact them..they may be able to help...or even rent some space from them..as they should have repair facilities available 24/7.

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I have a space for barely making a 10m hull. Can't start though. I have to work after hours and there are armed robbers operating here. All my neighbours got hit and some got hit more than once already. Besides, if I turn my back the stuff will get stolen. Rather pathetic eh :(

I'm sure there could be some place where someone have an empty space you could use. It may be under your nose - a basement or roof :D or whatever. Start asking around (nicely), network !, you'll be surprise what people can come up with. I have seen people build boats in flats...

Think outside the flat, I mean box... ;)

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Some ideas: friends, local church basement, a school that will let you make it a project for the kids, disused warehouse, downsized business premises. In Canada I would suggest approaching the local community center for a project room, I don't know if you have those. As you walk around eye every building for what it can do for you.

Think about having to move it after it is built.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've seen sides of barns and homes removed to extract boats. I've seen them slide down planks from second story lofts and I use to have a picture hanging of a fellow in NY, living in a high rise condo, who'd built a stripper in his living room and it was lowered to the waiting trailer, 10 stories below with a crane.

One of the key ingredients of boat building is problem solving. You'll encounter dozens of things, that will require you "engineer on the fly" a solution, possibly one that's never been tried before. Ask Terry here, how to clamp a triangular piece of wood, to the chine of his boat.

In the current economic environment, you should have a fairly easy time finding space to rent, at a reasonable rate.

7. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I don't believe there's anywhere close to London that would be good for sailing a 26' cruiser. Datchet really isn't much of an option for a cruiser. So you're probably looking at going to the coast.

There is good dinghy sailing near London, however. Lots of clubs up and down the Thames (I used to sail a Merlin at Cookham Reach), as well as the reservoirs. The clubs will provide you a space to keep your boat and be a source of used boats as well as a market when you want to sell yours.

I question whether building a boat is the most affordable option. You can probably buy a used boat for the cost of materials or less. If building is your thing, then by all means build. But if you want to go sailing with the least cost, buy a used boat.

Given that you will probably sail a 26' cruiser on the coast, you can probably find one for sale there, and maybe even be able to take over its mooring.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have a friend with a little Roberts for sale in Brighton marina, he is sick of it and wants out,--- He has a boat in Malaysia too which he is on right now about 100 feet away from me, I can hear him talking " cor blime mate--"

interested?

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

What !! Tom posted without any formula's !!!!! Unthinkable... :D

Jolly good show there Frosty...

One should first ask Mainsailman if he's going to buy or build tho.

10. joz

joz Senior Member

Does this answer your question Fanie

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The Didi 26 is one of my favourites as well

if you could afford a kit so much the better

here is a website - just pics - that will make you drool

it is of a young couple building and sailing a Didi 26 in the Phillipines

this is really the kind of story that greatly inspires people - absolutely wonderful

click on open all - start the journey from the beginning

http://www.romblon.ch/

i dont think that there could ever be a nicer build site on planer earth

enjoy :D

12. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Once built, the boat will have to be stored somewhere ...

13. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Hi mainsailman

Not too far from London is Dauntless boatyard at Southend on sea. Nice space, facilities, launching, mooring, storage and reasonable charges. Give them a buzz on 01268793782.

Hi also to all my Sarf Efrican budddies. Hope your'e all doing well!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.