Onboard PC

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by glenn.225, Dec 15, 2009.

1. glenn.225

glenn.225 Junior Member

Hi everyone
    I’ve done a bit of reading here and have some questions? I need to replace the very old and non-functioning instruments on my 27 ft Albin Vega sailboat. They were a wind direction and speed indicator and log. The depth sounder is a cheap Hummingbird fish finder but it still works. I also use an older handheld GPS with paper charts of course. I would like to modernize to one integrated system. I would like to have chartplotter w/ boat speed, boat heading, wind speed and direction and depth. I have been looking at Garman and Raymarine systems, but in the 8” display size they are a bit pricey.
    To cut costs a little I have been thinking about an onboard PC. I can easily assemble a rugged (somewhat weather resistant) box with basic capabilities (Zotac IONITX-A-U MB with onboard video and audio, 60GB Solid State HD, 2 GB ram, slim DVD) for around $500. Charts and GPS input are fairly easy. A weather proof monitor is a bit of a problem, I have been looking at some car type displays that I could just mount it behind glass, they’re inexpensive and 12 volt. But what about wind and depth, how do you use NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 sensors with Open Pilot or Avia? Do you need a connecting box of some type? What about compass input? I’ve read about some very small electronic compasses on this forum will they work and are they affected by other components? Maybe mounted forward would help? Or would it just be better to go with a brand name system? Any info would be appreciated.

Glenn

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I cant believe I am answering this as I am certainly no computer geek --but-- I have been in this situation and I am very pleased with Cmap down loaded to the lap top which I site near the helm. NMEA 0183 is fed to the USB port by just 2 wires from the Furuno GPS.

I have every thing I need, the depth finder is of course a separate instrument.

The Cmap was free and has every chart in the world. The only difficulty is adopting the NMEA 0183 into a USB which prefers a serial port, but there is ways round it.

3. glenn.225

glenn.225 Junior Member

Frosty

I no geek myself, but I can manage to slap together some hardware, it’s the software that I have trouble with. I have absolutely no knowledge of programming, so I need mostly plug and play. I’ve meaning to look at Linux for a couple of years but have gotten around to it yet. My boat has a tiller and the problem with a laptop is it would have to be set down and it would just get wet so I need something inside but viewable from the cockpit. Lots of shoal water here so you have to pay attention to the chart.
    Do you have any info on adopting the NMEA 0183 into a USB or serial port?

Glenn

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

5. glenn.225

glenn.225 Junior Member

Mark

I have seen this; at first I thought it was maybe overkill. But I will have a better look at it.

Also when you look at costs;

Full Garman system <$3K

PC $500, Monitor $1K for water resistant, sensors $750 at least, Software $500 +++,

The Garman system would be easier to install and be ready to go.

The PC option would harder to install, much more software to get right, but it would be more versatile.

Much to consider.

Glenn

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

Hey Glenn, by-the-way I forgot to mention that monitors are so cheap these days that I just buy another and throw the old out (I don't get seawater, but coffee and BS fly! I got some "whatevers", about a foot diagonal, form Best Buy for $179 minus a $100 rebate. Latest and greatest is cool but discontinued stuff works! Good luck

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

My computer did not have a serial port which NMEA prefers. It can be got around by buying a small converter that is just a processor thingy in the wire that the NMEA plugs into and the USB on the lap top, about 10 dollar.

Sometimes you get a bit of problems like the computer thinks the NMEA is a mouse and you get the pointer zooming about but this can be cured.

A window can be made that the lap top can be placed behind keeping it dry.

Down loading C map is not difficult.

8. glenn.225

glenn.225 Junior Member

Mark

Cheap monitors are great, but if you can't see it in sunlight or it's too bright at night or you have to replace it every week, it's not much good. But I will probably try it anyway, most likley behind glass or plexy.

Frosty

Found several serial to USB convertors on line. Do you know How you can link other devices? NEMA 0183 uses Cat 5 cable and RJ 45 connectors, doesn’t it? Just wondering how to link it all up?

I imagine OP, Avia or N2Kview would take care of this.

Glenn

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

Frosty knows a lot more about this than I. Do dig around that Maretron site tho, the'll even teach all about NMEA2000 etc.. There is more than meets the eye.

10. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Mark,

Vartech do some very nice military spec. monitors. They are very expensive though. The obvious question is do you need a display outside, or is it ok to have one on the chart table? You can always wire a repeater outside later, of course.

OpenPilot will handle NMEA 0183 over serial or via USB (they both look like serial ports). At the moment you have to build your own interface, but it's not that hard to do, and I can provide assistance if necessary. I haven't started working on NMEA2000 yet (I don't have any kit, and niether does anyone I know!). However, I suspect that the NMEA2000 interface is via the serial port, and if that is the case, then we need to parse the data which shouldn't be too tricky. We are looking to do this at some point in the not too distant future anyway (after v1, though). I am currently working on CM93/2 chart support which is the last part of the v1 feature addition phase, before bug testing.

Hope this helps,

Tim B.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Any information for which wire and color is available on the net, only 2 is required it will even tell you which plug pin to connect to from memory its 5 and 8.

Just about every yachty I know has this system, it is the cheapest way of doing this (free) and being at sea with this is a like driving a computer game.

The next step is blue tooth GPS.

12. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Glenn,

Don't just chuck everything out. While it's fine that you are going for the brand new thing, you will need a backup if the pc plays up, and we all know when it is most likely to develop a problem.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you checked the GPS screens for motorcycles?

15. glenn.225

glenn.225 Junior Member

Still considering options

Tim

Looked at these, a Panel PC may be a possibility.

Fanie

All the old stuff is toast, so it has to go.

gonzo

Had a look but all I found was waterproof GPS systems with road maps and trip info, a chartplotter would be miles ahead.

Oh well, a couple of months before I need it, so lots to look at yet. Starting to get the ideal that a small chartplotter with integrated instruments in the cockpit and a small PC inside may be the way to go.

Thanks all

Glenn

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.