How to apply fibreglass tissue?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by frosh, Apr 3, 2006.

1. frosh

frosh Senior Member

I have read recently on a few web sites of fibreglass and resin suppliers, that when using a female mold and epoxy resin, fibreglass tissue is recommended as the first layer. This is claimed to give several advantages to the finished boat surface. Firstly no print through of woven reinforcements, and the ability to sand the surface a little without damaging the woven reinforcement layer. Lastly it allows a resin rich layer to form on the outside surface, much the same as if a polyester based gel coat was applied as the first layer.
    It is very good in theory and probably in practice also, but applying it by hand layup seems to be a nightmare. Has anyone had much experience with fibreglass tissue in a hand layup and if so, how did you go about it?

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

i have used tissue a lot over the years but only with polyester and vinayester resins the sytrine will breack down the binding in the cloth and you can move it easy with a brush you have to buy tissue for use with epoxy which has a different binding in it

3. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Thanks Fibreglass Jack, I have tried applying with a brush and once it became wet with resin it behaved like a paper tissue that was waterlogged and just disintegrated unevenly. It was bad enough that I had to remove it and throw it away! Has anyone applied it underneath a woven layer of reinforcement simultaneously? This seems like a better prospect.

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I've used tissue, but only ever with poly, its got a "shiney" side which should be towards you other wise fibers lift out more easily, we just tamp it down with a brush.Jeff.