How to Add a Keel in MaxSurf?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Igor Tchouiko, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Igor Tchouiko

Igor Tchouiko Junior Member

Hello everyone,

Its great to know that this site exists, I'm sure I'll be an active member for the rest of my life now. I am a first term Ocean and Naval Architecture student studying engineering at Memorial University in Newfoundland, Canada.

For my first design project I am designing a ice strengthened sailing yacht for marine research.

I have the hull completed but I want to add a keel in MaxSurf, preferably a thin keel that can be retracted into the hull. As well I would like a folding rudder.

Any advice on how to design and add these two features onto my existing model?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You need to create a new surface, independent of the hull, and then trim it with the surface of the hull. It can be a simple vertical plane because Maxsurf will close its bow and stern edges.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.