How thick should my cabin bulkheads be??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mongo75, Feb 17, 2008.

1. AroMarine

AroMarine Junior Member

Mongo, for major bulkheads and gunwhales and decks 3/4" is the way to go. For cabin sides and tops 1/2" is ok with proper battening. If you seal everything up with a min of 1.5oz mat you should be ok. AC fir ply from lowes is better than pine. Pine has a lot more oil in the wood.

2. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Thanks for the info, sounds good to me. I think I'll put 3/4" on the sides as well because I'll want the extra strength due to having the big window cut out on the sides. For the roof, I'll lay some thin 8oz glass on a 1/2" sheet, and once it's glued and screwed to the supports / bettens, I'll sheet the entire cabin with 1708 (Lord knows I bought enough of the damn stuff) and that'll give some good structural integrity. My biggest fear is having the whole damn cabin collapse on my family if I get in nasty stuff, ya know?

3. mikentx

mikentx Junior Member

The original Bulkhead Plywood on a 1968 Luhrs is 3/4 inch thick

4. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Thanks again Mike- I guess I missed a few measurements before I tore her apart LOL

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

only 5 coats of awl?,,,man you are a cheapo hehe ;)
    and mongo,,,,dont worry bout the ply,,everyone gives me crap bout it,,but i did a boat down here 6 years ago,,,its next door,,,,and i used CHEAP ply,,,and even coated it with even cheaper poly resin,,,and i still go over once in a while and jump on it,,,i havent fell through yet hehe ;)