How Thick should a hull be ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by WorWilly, Apr 21, 2009.

1. CastrolR

CastrolR Junior Member

Sounds like thumb sucking to me :p

Jokes aside, you are right, fibreglass thickness for boat construction can be calculated up to a certain point, now dial in all the other factors and there is no hard and fast calculation, it is at this stage you have to depend on knowledge and experience, it is effectively a trade off, at one end of the scale you have a superlight construction to an overweight at the other, somewhere in the middle is the hull layup you are looking for, which depends mainly on purpose ;)

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

The programmes to calculate laminates have been discussed and posted endless in many threads on this platform in the past. Use the Forum search to find them.
    All of them are worth a penny if one does not know to which scantlings he has to calculate!
    But to the original question again:
    if that section which was measured has not been gel. only, but laminate (including some 1-2mm gelcoat), the dimension is sufficient and nothing to worry about! You could make a whole 34´boat out of 8,5mm +1,5mm gel. if the design is appropriate and the laminate done right.
    Regards
    Richard

3. WorWilly

WorWilly Junior Member

Great Info guys, many thanks

fannie got the pdf great thanks....

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

WorWilly, that's just to give you an idea. There is a lot more involved than meets the eye. You should visit a boat yard, have a look when they build a hull, talk to the builder and ask him to explain what they're doing and why. If you're lucky it may be worth the look.

Well maybe I am. If boatbuilding is so easy and simple then why are so many people buying these expensive things.

The idea is not to just make a hull thick enough so it won't break, there are other considerations.

Too thick a hull would be very expensive and very heavy, difficult to trailer, you'd need a bigger motor, it's going to sit too deep in the water. Too thin and weak a hull you can imagine...

If that's the idea many won't have the nice boats they have. Instead the hull shape get designed for a special purpose, then the strongest and stiffest combination of glass, layup orientation as well as method is calculated. Yes, these guys actually sit and actually calculate the stuff.

Besides, if I'm lying to you about this about a hundred forum users will jump on what I've said :D

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

6. WorWilly

WorWilly Junior Member

cheer's fanie, I live on the marina LOL

and seen hundreds of hulls bing formed from a distance, but didn't know how thick they were, cheers

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

So wheres the Marina in Newcastle then?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.