Motorsailer or Sailer ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jefro, Oct 29, 2006.

1. jefro

jefro New Member

I've been looking at buying my first large yacht 45 to 50ft, after looking at several i was in a steel roberts 49ft sloop and i found a recent survey report,which said it was a motorsailer but i couldn't tell the diffence between it and the others i've looked at. How do i tell the diffence when they don't tell you with out getting my own survey done.:confused:I'm guessing its how high the mast is and sail area but i couldn't see it.

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

The term "motorsailor" can be somewhat misleading.

They can range from a sailing/auxillary with a hard dodger & slightly bigger than normal engine, to a trawler with a small set of sails used mainly for thier steadying effect.

What one might call a 50/50 (a "true") motorsailor, would be, in my opinion, the Robert's "Pacific Coast Fisherman 40". Even this leans slightly to the trawler side.

Take care.

TGoz

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

MotorSailer or Sailor?

I might suggest you type the word "motorsailer" into the search function on this forum site and I think you will be amazed at the amount of subject matter it will bring up :!: :eek:

4. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

If you are not able to evaluate a boat sailing capacity from a simple look, you should needed more education before make such huge investment like buying 50 fts boat. I will suggest reading the book “The nature of boats” by Dave Gerr as beginning. The motorsailers are very well featured there. Also some experience could help.

CapKos

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Please CapKos, don't be so negative. The gentleman 's appearance on this website indicates he's trying to get some of that education. We don't want to thwart enthusiasm to entering boating, be it whether he can afford large or small.

6. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I am not negative, just in contrary, reading Dave Gerr is the best way to become nautically obsessed.

Be happy,
    CapKos

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

With todays lightweight construction and lightweight engines a 50/50 is no longer the "answer" , a 90/90 becomes within reach.

ALL the superb sailing of a good modern sail boat , less 10% for the weight of the added fuel.

ALL the ability to maintain a high percent of hull speed in adverse weather and long range , less 10% for the windage of the sticks and weight of the keel.

FAST FRED

8. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.