How paint thickend epoxy nonskid?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by andysailor, Apr 16, 2019.

1. andysailor

andysailor Junior Member

If mixing epoxy resin and silica...rolling it out so it gets a texture.....when do u paint it with polyurethane? When it is gelling or let it cure fully and wash it with way water and ammonia and scotchbrite it?

Any good ratio epoxy / silica for nonskid?

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Definitely wait until cured and all blush is scrubbed off.

The more silica the sharper the non-skid will be. Are you doing a molded pattern, rolled stiple or splatter?

3. andysailor

andysailor Junior Member

I will be rolling striple it...

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

How thick of nap roller are you planning on using?
    The thicker the nap the greater the texture.

It takes two roller passes. First to evenly spread out the epoxy. When the epoxy is starting to set a second rolling will raise it up into non-skid. Roll too early and the texture will lay back down. Too late and it won't lift into peaks.

Mayonnaise consistency is often suggested. Somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 silica by by volume.

I would add colerants to the epoxy to make it simular to the final color. The peaks of the non-skid will wear off quickly. Having the epoxy the same color will show less.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    rxcomposite and Dejay like this.
  5. andysailor

andysailor Junior Member

Blueknarr! Thanks and good idea about coloring the epoxy...never thought about that.

6. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Epoxy and silica might be too harsh and hard on the knees. For quick and easy job, we mask off the runners and apply thickened epoxy over the area I want the non skid. Short nap roller will do but a stiffling brush works better. Just like paint, before it cures, remove the masking tape.

For really professional look, we make a female fiberglass mold from vinyl/rubber non skid pattern. For the part side, apply a thick gel coat and reinforce with veil cloth then a layer of light CSM mat, about 300 grm/m2. We bond the cut to pattern part to the deck using thickened epoxy or very light CSM using sandbags for even pressure. Protect the water runners with masking tape.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Okay, call me dumb, but any adhesion concerns this method?

Shiny epoxy always makes me nervous, does the silica offset?

8. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Non-skid is always troublesome. There will be slightly less adhesion. But how to sand the epoxy dull and still retain the non-skid? Polyurethane paint has tremendous adhesive strength. It should do well despite of being applied to glossy epoxy. The other option of grit particles in the paint has it's own set of problems. Pick your poison.

Andysailer, I forgot to mention:
    Do several tests. Both of timing and thickening.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.