lengthening a mast - a folly or not?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jedkins, Feb 25, 2007.

1. jedkins

jedkins Junior Member

I have a standard Hobie 16 Mast, 26'6" long. Standard H16 main sail is abt 155 sq ft.The mast is used on a 20 foot Trimaran.

I want to increase the length of the mast by 2' at the top. I would then add jumpers for added strength. I then want to use a main sail of abt 170 sq ft, so this is an increase in main sail area of abt 10% . The Jib would remain near the Hobie 16 standard of abt 50 sq ft.

I tend to reef early and I sail a lot in relatively light winds

Firstly, is this a folly - will I break the mast?

Secondly, I can do the extension 2 ways. Add an identical Al. section with a sleeve or add a comptip and use this as a way to lengthen the mast (Hobie 16 comptips are abt 8' in length and are designed to retro fit to older Hobie Al. Mast like mine just above the hounds) Which extension might be best?

Thanks for any advice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.