how often to change oil on 454 chevy jet

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by holdthegroove, Jun 27, 2005.

1. holdthegroove

holdthegroove New Member

how often do you change the oil on a 454 Chevy Jet Engine? What type of oil do you recommend to use

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

How much do you run per season? Most boaters on my lakes change the oil before winter layup and, if running more than one tank of gas a week, around mid-season too. Doesn't really matter what they drive. It ends up averaging out to a fair bit more often than in the car equivalent I think. But that's part of why good boat motors can live for 20+ years. Probably the same 5w30 or 10w30 that the car version of your motor takes would be appropriate (look this up though). A lot of people are saying conventional oil beats synthetic in a boat when it comes to rust.

3. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

My engine calls for SAE 30W. No 10W30 here. You should be able to download an owners manual that will be specific.

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I don't use multiweight oil in boat engines. They're usually not used in cold temps, so it's not needed. Crusader calls for straight 40 wt for 350s and 454s with 50 hour interval, or about mid season as Marshmat said (100 hours per year being the average).

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That's right, oil change at the 100 hour service. However, for very hard use, 50 hours is recomended.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.