How much will shipping a Moth cost?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by dylantorquerol, Aug 29, 2010.

1. dylantorquerol

dylantorquerol Junior Member

I have found a good deal on an 11' moth sailboat in the UK and I am planning on shipping it to Hawaii. :) I know its really really far away. :( Is it going to cost less than $1,000 or will it be totally crazy like $5,000.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

If it fits in a 20ft container you can possibly get it there at around 1000.

Contact Kühne & Nagel

Hapag Lloyd has a online calculator for the main routes where you can find the rates for a entire container.

K&N will most probably provide a bypack which is cheaper.

Regards
    Richard

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

You can take a modern Moth on a plane as check in...all the guys here are doing it

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

??? ??? ???

5. EuroCanal

EuroCanal Junior Member

Apparently they weigh about 30-40kg, so it should be possible. I've taken a similar weight boat on planes (but mine is an inflatable and is packed for transport - biggest bits are the paddles). You see kayaks, and windsurfers being taken from time to time, and I guess it's not much bigger than that, once it's packed.

Avoid United Airlines - they have a crappy after-breakage service.

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

7. dylantorquerol

dylantorquerol Junior Member

wow thanks but I just found one right here in Hawaii! :) I guess I have to sail one first. Is it worth it after you get good at it?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.