How much will a reconditioned V8 cost

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Edd, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Edd

Edd New Member

I have an 18ft Classic, British built Speedboat with a 3L 140hp 4 stroke inboard. This is not doing the boat justice and I am desperate to get a bigger engine for it. Does anyone know 1) how much I could potentially get selling my existing engine and 2) how much would a reconditioned 220hp V6 or 260hp V8 cost roughly?

2. CPC

CPC New Member

Yes for your 3L being used I'd say you wouldn't get but a few hundred dollars for it and for a reconditioned NON-marinized V-8 you'd be looking at roughly 1200-1600$ not including taxes or shipping.

3. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

You will definitely need to use a marine camshaft, brass knockout plugs, etc. You just can't use a non marine engine without modifications.

4. CPC

CPC New Member

You are missing the point here. I understand you HAVE to marinize the engine. What I am saying is the NON marinized V-8 reconditioned will be ruffly 12-1700$. You can marinize it yourself.

5. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

Sorry CPC, I was just trying to make the original poster, Edd, aware of some of the common mistakes people sometimes make in an engine swap.

6. dgrason

dgrason New Member

I'm new to this stuff so please help clue me in. Why does the camshaft need to be specifically for marine use?

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

This subject has come up several times. There is much more than the camshaft that need to be changed.
    *Pistons need to be heavy duty
    *Piston rings need more gap than automotive
    *Valves have to be SS
    *intake manifold has bronze inserts in the water passages
    *rod and main bearings are of a harder alloy than automotive
    *oil pump is high volume
    *crankshaft is steel not cast iron
    *block and heads have nickel to make them corrosion resistant
    *electrics are marine-spark protected
    *balancer is differernt
    *flywheel is different
    *carburator has to be marinized or the fuel injected system be completely changed to a marine type
    There are more things, but this should be enough to show you that it is way cheaper to buy a marine engine. If you can't get a 4.3 locally I have several used and rebuilt. I don't know what the freight is but can check. Look in my website for more info.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.