How much weight can TNT 11 foot Glen-L marine transom handle?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rvBilly, Sep 13, 2005.

1. rvBilly

rvBilly Junior Member

I am building a small 11 ft. boat called TNT from Glen-L plans, I cannot find out how much weight the transom can handle, I am going to add a total of 4 knees to the transom so it will be strong, I want to put a new 30 hp. Mercury 4 stroke on it but that engine is about 200 pounds and I think that might be a little heavy, the boat is supposed to handle up to 35 hp 2 stroke but 2 strokes are being phased out and I was told in the near future they won`t be allowed on any waterways, I guess one could allways add a race cam and other mods to the engine to bring up the performance later on, has anyone out there built this particular boat?

2. RealityBoatCo

RealityBoatCo Junior Member

2 Strokes being phased out? What about my new E-tec motor? :eek:

3. RealityBoatCo

RealityBoatCo Junior Member

I just looked at the Glen-l catalog, and the TNT is good for 15hp not 35hp. I would try a slightly bigger boat.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Absolutely do NOT overpower this boat. It's far too small and light for a 30. The max motor it's designed for, a 15hp, will be more than plenty. Figure on 100lb engine. When it comes time to get a Capacity Plate for this thing, be aware that it is quite possible that it will only be rated to 10hp.

2-strokes are NOT being banned or phased out, just that new motors must be less polluting than old. You can still run old motors.

If you want 35hp, look into the 14-16' range in the same Glen-L catalogue. You'd need a bigger boat to handle that kind of power.