How much space to allow for anchor rode?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by pdwiley, Apr 13, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I agree with this too.

A big box you can nearly get right into for cleaning and so you have access works best. Also, a big locker means you have more flexibility later on with adding more rode.

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Only problem having so generous locker as Frosty suggests is the size of the boat. 15500 pounds.... about 35 footer, more or less, so not too much space.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A 35 footer is a day boat as far as im concerned, not only because of size but the difficulty of said chain but storing and carrying fresh water and fuel capacity.

Cluttered decks with anchor rope and bottles of diesel and water is down right dangerous and where is the dinghy.

The point was,-- make it is large as possible withing the space available. Small boats have to take care on anchoring depth, its not an anchor anywhere boat.

4. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Area is a matter of desire times necessity - is it not

Gooday 'Teddy-bear' - 'the-pipe-man' has not been so silly as to have done a few Sydney-to-Hobart races - 3 in an 'S&S 34' & 4 in an S&S 36' - - both yachts had the anchors\chain\rope (rode) in a glassed-in box just in front of the mast foot & did not seem to be a problem once we got used to it - - all that weight down low & back from the bow made for a much better sailing vessel all around - - never created a problem that a 'sundowner' didn't overcome

With the 40' tri - I'm trying to buy - back from the bow - down low is an absolute must - - same position & as big as it can be without being 'stupid' (that will be the hard part) he he - - the disadvantage of weight high & forward is to the factor of 10 times the gross weight of all the anchoring equipment for every 10' forward & 2' above the waterline

With the tri - weight is a reall big concern - so I'll be being very choosie about all the weight - size - strength - holding factors including a complete back-up (2nd) anchoring system that will hold a 40' x33' x 2800 kg (all-up sailing weight) tri in the worst conditions that can be encountered in the SE Asian area - which can be very dangerous

There are several choices of fibreglass materials that can be used to make a stronger - lighter better glass-box - - if you are interested - I've been building yachts for 40 years & sailing them

Good luck with your 'correct decission' - in the long run & the overall big picture it is an important decission to make - Ciao for now, james

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I know it's sometimes hard to stay on the subject Frosty, but Wileys question is what we should be considering with the answers here..

Anyway I'm building a boat about the same size and it's going to have tankage for 1.5 tons of fuel, 300l water and a watermaker, dinghy bay under the cockpit... nothing stored on the deck. More a month boat than a day sailer. I'd say most production boats under 50' are more daysailers :rolleyes:

James, I'm in the same page with you :D

6. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

That's nice for you.

Since, after 2 or 3 posts in this thread that are not on point and haven't offered any useful information, perhaps you could refrain from upping your post count and go talk to the boys with the big boats on another thread.

FWIW it's actually 11.92m LOA with the bowsprit inboard and it's a design in which others have used for circumnavigations. Given it's a *sail boat* the fuel capacity is quite adequate.

Anyway it seems I'll just build a big box between frame 2 & 3 with an internal divider for the rodes and call it good. I already planned to carry any extra chain further aft in the keel recess to better balance the boat. Lots of weight right in the nose can't be a good idea. Michael is quite right re chain liking to stack in a pyramid but this is the most space inefficient shape I can imagine trying to fit in the bow area which is more like an *inverted* pyramid.

PDW

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The box must be removable for steel plate maintenance.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ive deleted the unnecessary points I hope you dont mind, However people do cross seas in canoes and other such things but that is more a test of man than the boat.

The most dangerous situation you can get into is over estimating your boats capabilities.

A 35 foot boat is not a Blue water cruiser, your anchoring depth is severely restricted you need to anchor where you can.

Good point about the removable box, good luck.

9. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

That's correct Frosty, better to drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast!

10. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

11.92m does not convert to 35'. Perhaps you could get a metric converter.

Your blanket statement that a boat of such length is not a blue water cruiser would come as a surprise to the very large number of people who've done it in smaller ones. Indeed, I seem to recollect that the majority of long distance cruisers are less than 40'.

I suspect this has a lot more to do with your perceptions and need for conveniences than reality.

It's also pretty irrelevant as I don't think that I've ever made any statement concerning my intended usage except for a voyage to Bruny Island, which is well within the capacity of both the boat and myself.

Anything built up the pointy end and subject to salt water is going to be removable for sure. There's a lot of paint in that area but the best method of corrosion prevention is to keep it as dry as possible and inspect regularly.

PDW

11. The Loftsman

The Loftsman The Loftsman

Hi,
    A chain locker is a chain locker and will always have water ingress, and in my experience they have been on the most part square or at least rectangular in shape and always had a dividing bulkhead to separate and keep things in order.

Cheers
    P.S. This is the Metal Boat building part of the forum!

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

My cat is severly restricted to anchoring, having a mere 30 meters.

It all fits in a plastic beer crate with the bottle separations cut out.

13. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

More importantly, where are the beer bottles and are they still full?

14. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Is there room for a second or larger crate? A reel winch perhaps? I'm assuming you have already considered this but 30m? Where do you store your secondary anchor and rode?
    We have two 100m rodes on our coastal and inland cruiser.

15. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

'M-H' to you & yours

'M-H' & Lady,
    Gooday bloke & Lady - - It's a long - long - long time since I was in 'your neck o-the-woods'. Fab place!!!

How big? & what does it weigh & what's the windage??? No not a 'cop' just an old man trying to learn more. How muck chain/what size - then how much rope/what size & type & same ?'s all over again for secondary anchor system.

By the by - me thinks - the very old 'corn-cob' is pulling our legs - - eh Frosty???

Keep well - up there - grand place - especially with the summer comming. Ciao, james

PS - There's no hope in hadies that the bottles are still full - that's why he weighs way - way over 100kgs & is only 5'10" - ah ha ha ha

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.