aluminum bonding for sailboat

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by SeaweedSam, Feb 8, 2012.

1. SeaweedSam

SeaweedSam New Member

I am considering a sailboat selfbuilt out of aluminum, most likely a multihull. FYI I havent found a plan yet but am looking at 36-42'. My immediate barrier is the ability to execute a selfbuild with my current resources. I don't really have an absolute preference for which material I use (no steel) I only need to be able to get the hull(s) done and floating quickly ( months not years)so I don't burn my cash on a storage/buildsite . After that I have a water site to build it out. Aluminum seems cost effective, fast and durable if I don't have to hire out the welding. A friend who builds light aircraft suggested aluminum over , ply epoxy laminate, grp , cold mold etc.. saying the aircraft industry has been "gluing "aluminum for years. I have read most of the sites and threads here and I know it can be done but I havent read yet where someone said " Yep I did it and she came out fine". If your out there speak up.
    Point of reference... I bonded an aluminum plate 1/4" x 12" x 12" to the fiberglass hull of my boat to create an area for outboard motor mount. Since I thru-bolted it anyway and I was mainly concerned with a strong watertight seal I used a tube of 5200 I had laying around . There was minimal sanding on the glass and a quick hand cleaning with acetone and no prep at all on the aluminum plate. I do not know if it was coated or not but it did not appear so. It looked new and shiny and I could not say what type of plate it was as it had been given to me for this purpose several months before. It has been there nearly 5 years on a boat floating all day every day in salt water . Last year I attempted to dismount it to relocate it .. MEBS! I pried, pushed, drilled a "grab hole" for a large bolt, hammered it a bit ...no good!! I dont have any way to measure "shear", "peel" or any other fancy term for failure but I can say that suckers on there short of cutting the entire section out and doing a repair. BTW I hung a 90lb 2stroke Johnson on it so it definitely got some vibration and flex. Goodluck to all SAM

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

3. Brayan

Brayan Junior Member

Hi friends.
    This is very beautiful and also strong of aluminium bonding on a sailboat you should be do this by a good worker he will be bonding your boat of aluminium.
    Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.