I need HELP! AWLGRIP PAINT OVER GELCOAT

Discussion in 'Materials' started by chkmahow, Jun 26, 2004.

1. chkmahow

chkmahow New Member

I just bought a 1988 SHAMROCK and Imp going to paint the bottom and sides with AWLGRIP.
    #1) I had to remove about 6 coats of bottom paint witch went up the side of the boat 12".
    #2) I striped off all attached parts and filled all scratches and any hole not needed.
    #3) I sanded the bottom and sides of the boat smooth, ***** and taped off all other items ready for paint
    #4)I baught Awlgrip G8010 and Awl-cat #3 converter to brush the bottom, because it on a trailer and I can only do one side at a time. For the sides I have Awlcraft 2000 with Awl-cat #2 converter for spraying.
    #5) I NEED HELP!!!!. The saleman said I didn't need to prime before I paint the boat if I would sand the boat good and clean of all dust. WHAT SHOULD I DO????? THE BOAT IS ALL READY TO PAINT TO DAY June 26,2004

Thanks
    Jim

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Jim, just my opinion, but I think you should prime and sand before painting. This will help to show any minor surface imperfections you may have missed. A good filling primer block sanded before painting will give you a beautiful finish. You spent the money on the Awlgrip, might as well go all the way. I think you'll be thankful that you did.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You should use a sealer and a primer. If not the pores on the gelcoat will show as craters. Also, old wax and sealers are usually lodged in those pores.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.