Sanitred , Permaflex glass alternative ?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Mr_Boat, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Mr_Boat

Mr_Boat Junior Member

Hello ,

I have a 1973 Eagle Trawler ,the cabin is polyester glass over ply and is peeling (origional I assume) . The previous owner cut out the rotted wood and I now have bare plywood patchs and the peeling glass (it will be completely removed leaving bare plywood). I wanted to know if anyone has experience with Sanitred,s permaflex ? www.sanitred.com If the cabin has structual integredy could I just coat it with this stuff and not reglass with epoxy ?

Thanks !

2. Trent

Trent New Member

Boat Deck

You are correct. You would remove any loose material, make sure the wood is clean, and dry. Sani-Tred has a textured slip resistant system for decks called "Heavy Duty Floor". You would use their patching mixture for joints, seams, cracks, holes, etc...

I have used Sani-Tred products for just about every tough DIY project. I have sealed up my basement 1st, then my pool, pool house roof, textured deck arround pool, and wood constructed salt water aquarium.

Their life time warranty is no joke. :D

3. Mr_Boat

Mr_Boat Junior Member

I am glad to hear from someone that has used it .I have a few more questions....How thick did you apply it ? Is it rubbery after it dires ? Did it level itself out ( do brush or roller's leave a trail ? ) I am looking at their smooth white with U.V.
    Do you know how it compares to durabak ?

Thanks !

4. Trent

Trent New Member

The Heavy Duty Floor system does not leave any tool marks and is approx 1/16" thick. Once completely cured, if you pick at it with your finger nail, you can tell it is rubbery. All other systems use sand for texture, Sani-Tred systems use rubber granules because sand is extremely abraisive and will eventually come out of a product where rubber granules flex and take much more abuse.

I asked about the smooth system before I purchased (smooth is cheaper and uses less product) but for a boat, you usually want slip resistance because anything smooth can be slippery when wet. Smooth rubber/slip and slide : )

www.sanitred.com
    Click on "Sani-Tred Applications", click on "Heavy Duty Floor" and that's where all the info is at.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.