How is this kind of boat called in english?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Arvy, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi all,

As the topic already says, I am curious how the type of boat in the image is being called in english (in dutch it is called a sloep).

Greetz,
    Arvy

Attached Files:

2. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

a launch or open dayboat

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Or, anything from a "run-about" to a "yacht"...

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The picture shows an open boat with a bow that is not pointed. There are several possibilities for naming (in English or American, which is not entirely english) The boat could be called a power Garvey. We have a crude but very popular boat with the same general configuration that is called a Jon boat. Both the garvey and the Jon boat usually have flat bottoms. Your picture shows a rich looking boat. Jon boats are seldom as elaborate as that. They are most often used as small fishing boats and seldom exceed 6 metres in length. Our inland waterways are literally crawling with them. We also have boats that have blunt bows but the bottom is made with vee shape, some have two or even three vees under the boat. These are often called Whalers because the original most popular brand was the Boston Whaler.

5. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

Personally i would call it a launch, however it might also be considered a form of whaler but it looks like a displacement hull which says launch so it's a launch

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If American-English were as English as English-English, would we call jonboats looboats? I believe garveys have a slight rocker bottom, though flat from side to side.

7. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Thanks for the replies so far, I think Launchboat might be the most appropriate name then. In the netherlands the small canals in the cities are crowded with them. They typically range from 5 meters to 10 meters long. Some have flat sterns, others have a round, pointy stern, almost all have a pointy bow however. Almost all of these vessels have multiple overlapping seams (at least visually as they are most often made from frp).

The richness of how they look is probably coming from the fact that they are mostly used as pleasure boats, for example to take out friends for cruising through the canals and sip wine and eat cheese on them :) they are almost never used for fishing. So a real luxury product.

I will try to find a better picture of a larger one maybe even (if I can find them) some lines, which would probably make it easier to put a name on them as when I looked at the picture again it is quite a bad one for getting a good picture of it.

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Admirals Launch, or just launch is the common term.

Regards
    Richard

make toot when you need a new one................

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      48.6 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      41.1 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      65.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

A few pictures of the type of boat

As promised some more pictures of these type of vessels, this one however is slightly less rich in its appearance (the price is also about 2/3 of the other one, while having roughly the same size, 5.5 meters).

Attached Files:

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

It doesn't appear to me that the two examples shown have the same hull type. The first one might appear like a john boat or a whaler, but we really can't see neither the bow nor the bottom.
    Anyways, though english is not my native language, I can say that "launch" is a general therm which comprises different types of motorboats - so I believe you're safe to call it a launch.
    Incidentally, the second one looks more like what we usually refer to as a (traditional) launch - a fine-entry bow, an inboard engine, designed for comfortable transportation of passengers in protected waters.

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well we sell them as Admirals launches since ages, and so the customers enquiries say, just launch or....................yes!
    There is a wide variety of hull forms in the Netherlands, because they have been just the work boats or rescue boats from large ships originally.

here is a less luxurious one, and a smaller example too.

Attached Files:

12. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

@daiquiri: like I said, the first example picture was quite a bad one. The second are more like how the general hull looks like althoug as Apex1 said the hulls over here vary quite a lot. Actually the shape is almost the same, but due to the hood (shelter in the front made from fabric laid down on the foredeck) makes the hull looks like having a flat bow instead of a sharper one.

@Apex1,

So admirals launch or just launch it is (maybe depending on the luxury it is admirals or not). The pictures you show are the exact type of boat I mean! And indeed in the netherlands they all have a common name with different kind of hull forms.

Thanks all.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  13. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

And just to confuse things, after your first picture, in England, the very popular boat below is a Dell Quay *Dory*
    Generally regarded as *based on* the Boston Whaler.

Attached Files:

14. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Well Tiny Turnip, that picture shows an entirely different kind of boat :) but I can understand that you think it might be this kind of boat after seeing my first picture.

15. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

TT

How do you get anywhere in such a tiny bit of water?

Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.