How much is "too much"?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by SpiritWolf15x, Oct 4, 2012.

1. SpiritWolf15x

SpiritWolf15x Senior Member

Just wondering, as I have a spare Tornado rig, if it'd be "too much" for my 16' KH trimaran. What it has now is the rig off a Nacra 5.2 with 18" taken out of the bottom of the main. It's fast as is, I've had her up to 18 knots and I sure she still had more left in her.

- Wolf

(Picture is not me, but the previous owner)

Attached Files:

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Wolf,

Pity you took the 18" off the Nacra rig, it was 220 sq ft. The Tornado is only 235. The tornado main is 185, but the mast is 31'. Couldn't discover what the Nacra was.

A Hobie 16 is about 218 sq ft and they fly a hull so I think you could do it easily. The only difference would be the windspeed when the main hull lifted off.

Do you have enough ama hull to fly the main hull? What are the amas made from?

What is a KH trimaran? I would appreciate as much as you can tell me about the boat. This is about what I want to build and I also have a classic Tornado rig. The mast is a little bent so I have to make sure it can be straightened.

3. SpiritWolf15x

SpiritWolf15x Senior Member

KH, should be Kurt Hughes, ( http://multihulldesigns.com/designs_stock/daysail/16_tri.htm ). I got the boat from the previous owner as it is now, the amas, as best I can describe, are modified Hobie 16 hulls with the decks raised by 4" (built up with foam). She's flown the main hull in her current configuration and I've had her up to 18knots. I'm just wondering it an extra 5' of mast would be too much or if I should just modify my mast to take the furling reacher off the Tornado.

Attached Files:

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Personally I would just throw the rig up there, without the jib and see what it does. The mast will be heavier and taller so it will pitch more in the wrong chop.
    If the forestay is the same distance (or close) to the tornado geometry, I would put the jib up in lighter air. Roller furling would be lots of fun so you could try it from the start.
    You probably know all about having to move in and out and fore and aft to keep the boat sailing well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.