How much is it for custom boat design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by IamSam, May 6, 2008.

1. IamSam

IamSam New Member

I'm new here..
    I've dreamed of having a catamaran .
    I wonder how is the price range for 50' catamaran full design..(Power and Sail)

Now, I'm living in Philippines...I know a few man who can help me to build a boat but the problem is they can not design in a professional way..

my email is charlie1004@hotmail.com...

anyone has idea..plz give me an email. or just reply...

thanks

2. IamSam

IamSam New Member

i like this kind of design

Power cat

[​IMG]

Sail cat

[​IMG]

3. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

I would expect somewhere in the region of 80-100,000 USD for a new design from scratch going on the prices I saw a couple of years ago.

I am in the process of doing this for a 49 ft. sailing cat, and can reccomend the designer doing the final design for my boat. He is experienced in both motor and sailing catamarans.

See here: http://www.dtyd.co.za/about.htm

Anton du Toit is the man to speak to.

Regards

Alan

4. IamSam

IamSam New Member

lollollollollollollollollol

:eek: wow....that's really really ......expensive...I didn't expect that much..

Is there anyone offering a lot cheaper than that?

BTW, thanks for your info..

5. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

You did state that you wanted a "full design", i take that to mean all the inside stuff, engines, propellers, electrics, as well as document the scantlings to a designated standard like ABS or ISO.

This is a medium price level I think, if you want less you pay less, as in all things, you get what you pay for.

A good designer charges from 80 usd/hr and up

regards

Alan

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The range of prices quoted for designs varies quite a bit with the prospect of on-selling the design.
    Some designers will do the work for a sizeable discount on the chance that they can re-sell the design to other people.

IamSam - if you think that design quote is expensive, have you priced the actual boats? The boats from the designs you show would *start* at $250,000. Check out a few in the used boat section.

The other thing that isnt always obvious for a new boat owner, is that the $100,000 design fee is actually saving money. For a start, you wont get insurance unless a boat that size has been designed by a reputable navel architect - imagine losing quarter of a mill if your uninsured boat sinks from an unexpected event. On top of that, unless you are extremely experienced, you would waste that much using the wrong materials, overordering the right materials, having work re-done by other tradesmen because you didnt have an accurate plan to go by. A mistake in the installation of the engines alone would set you back tens of thousands.

Join the club of -" I cant believe it actually costs that much!!!"

7. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

It is hard to give a price based on the info you have given. Most designers will normally quote somewhere between 5 and 10% of the final cost to build the boat. There will be discounts on this based upon all or some of the following:

1. Are you buying an existing design, a modification to an existing design or something completely new.
    2. What level of info are you after, some designers will give you 10 sheets of A3 paper others will give you over 100 a1 or electric drawings including details of how all the furniture should be built.
    3. What level of support are you after, does the fee include on site inspections or are these additional?
    4. What sort of guarantee is included? Does the designer have professional liability insurance?
    5. Is the design something that the designer wants in their portfolio. There are big discounts available if the designer really wants the contract either to on sell as a stock design or to prove their skills to the market place.

Few designers will do this work on a charge out rate. Most will quote a fixed price and then list charge out rates for additional work not included in their standard scope of supply. If your contract price doesn't include a detailed weight estimate walk away and find someone else.

If you would like any more advice or a quote to do this work please don't hesitate to ask.

8. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

New Catamaran Design

Hello IamSam,

I hope my fellow designers will forgive me but I felt a strong need to reply.

I must agree with you - either the prices quoted so far for designs are incredibly high or I am not charging enough!

A set of production drawings (structural, mechanical and electrical) from our UK design office for a one-off 50 foot catamaran would be less than one third of the price quoted by 'Nordic Cat'.

Our 'rule of thumb' for design costs is normally 2 to 3% of total project cost.

We have been in business since 1985 and have many happy clients and have always strived to give good service at a reasonable price and I hope we have succeeded so far. All our designs do include free e-mail and telephone support.

Well I'm glad to get that off my chest.

Best Regards,
    Graham Westbrook
    Naval Architect
    www.westbrookmarine.co.uk

9. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

only $30k? Can you design a new wife for me...mine is defective.

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I think it's a bit ridiculous to pay 100k for a design for a 250 k boat. That said, if the designer can get it, why not? It's not my money.
    However, as can be seen, a NA can survive comfortably at one third that.
    This relates to a "normal" design. Sometimes wealthy people like to pretend everyone they hire is Santa Claus and such people "want what they want".
    For them, by all means, a huge fee is appropriate (and necessary).
    A racing boat is also worthy of a large design expense account, since there is a lot of work in designing each part to be as light and strong as possible.
    To get so much as 100k for designing a fifty-footer that isn't very very extraordinary (except to the owner) seems like wishful thinking, but hey--- if you can get it, more power to you.

Alan

11. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I am not a NA - all I know is that a plumber costs 70$ an hour or more where I live. If NA makes the same I think it sounds reasonable.

Another important thing - 80K design cost on 250K product is way off - however the cat pictures come from pedigree cats website - their pricing:

http://www.pedigreecats.com/amen_pr.htm

seems like their price for 50' cat is well above million.

and their cats while not work boat finished aren't quite the luxury yachts with exotic wood and silly fanciness. I guess very important point is what kind of 50ft boat?

12. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

New 'wife' Design

In reply to juiceclark:

For 30k we would have a go even though it would be a new area for us.

Just to be clear - would this be an inflatable you're after.

Cheers,
    GW

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Rule of thumb says the complete design of a 50' boat will take roughly 900-1000 hours. Design cost should be based on the number of hours expended and the cost per hour. You can probably get a boat designed in China for less than $20 per hour, I charge $85.

The designer doesn’t have to spend 1000 hours on your design, that depends on what he or she is comfortable with and what you (the client) are willing to pay for. A weight study might take 120 man hours, but it's not required. If you are doing a typical boat without radical features, stick it in the water and see how she floats, then make changes as required. Some will see this as foolish, others will see it as economical.

There are only 4 drawings required to build any boat, anything beyond this is window-dressing and the designer justifying high design fees, which is fine. If the builder wants to have a dimensioned drawing of every drawer in the boat he will need to pay for it. In this way he can probably make do with less skilled people.

14. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

I don't know where the 250K (build) or 100K (design) prices cames from.

These are US $1 Mill+ boats, 5% of that is $50K (This is approx what most people will charge for a complete design including composite engineering etc, but not including high level interior design). Thats only $50-$60 an hour based on Tad's estimate. Not completing a weight estimate on a large catamaran is professional suicide for any designer who is willing to back up their work with guarantees. The much lower trimming moments exhibited by these designs means that you can get very bad results very quickly. In the absence of a weight estimate and sufficiently detailed drawings showing where everything goes, this is the designer's fault and they should be the ones paying for it to be corrected. Sometimes this is as easy as moving the batteries other times it may mean hull additions. However, if all the info is provided and the builder and all client make modifications that result in the problems then the designer is in the clear.

There are a lot of people throwing around figures here without listing what they include. You now know that if you are in the market for a custom 50' cat, a design will be somewhere between between 30K and 100K (I know people who would charge more than this). You're not going to learn a lot more in a public forum. As with anything else shop around and get quotes, make sure you fully understand what each of the designers is going to provide and what extra costs are involved.

15. yipster

yipster designer

3ID a member on his forum did te shown concept renders and pedigree cats can build them as they have expirence as yard building big cats
    for a cat (power and/or sail?) that size considerable naval architecture and mechanical engineering is required witch is more than a few guy's that can help

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.