Marchaj books

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by iznogoud, Jan 14, 2010.

1. iznogoud

iznogoud New Member

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference of content between those two book? I'm concidering bying one, but two is bit expensive...

Aero-Hydrodynamics of Sailing
    Sail Performance: Techniques to Maximise Sail Power

Is one more theoritical and one more applied? One more science oriented and the other tips to go faster while sailing?

Thanks for your help

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Are you a sailor/sailmaker or an engineer/designer?

While they both discuss the theory, sail performance is more focused on the rig and sails, while aero-hydrodynamics is the whole package. So Sail Performance for the sailor/sailmaker who is going to be using, not necessarly designing, rigs; Aero-hydronamics for the Naval Architect/designer.

3. iznogoud

iznogoud New Member

thanks for your answer.

I'm actually working as a sail designer and had actually studied hydrodynamic and naval architecture. I'd like to get all the aero part right in my head.
    So for the sail designing part if I get your rigth the hydro-aero is better.

4. yipster

yipster designer

seaworthiness and hydrodynamics read, i am planning going TU delft to read there sail performance they dont lent out in the library, sailmaking eh?
    good book worth the trip or buy first out of a long shortlist? no customer reviews jehardiman so if you can elaborate a little more on amazons product desciption thanx
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Another book of interest for the sail designer might be; The Art And Science of Sails by Tom WHidden and Michael Levitt. This book is not as academic as the Marchaj books but it has a wealth of information and conceptual text. ISBN 0-312-04417-8

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.