1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

How much does it usually cost to build a mold?

Discussion in 'Boat Molds' started by gatortennis, Mar 2, 2008.

1. seagull427

seagull427 Junior Member

bukknekkid were are you located Im in massachusette.

2. seagull427

seagull427 Junior Member

I was looking at the 36' Devil Im not sure if you have seen that particular model it has a 14' 7'' beam with a carolina flair its supposidly a, very stable platform,with very good seakeeping ability .

3. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Do you have a set of blue-prints for that boat we can see?

4. seagull427

seagull427 Junior Member

Cobra 1 you seem to have alot of knowledge about boat building is this your hobby or your profession?Anways how many layers of glass do you use on a boat hull ?or does the size of the boat dictate that?and what is the sequence of fiberglass ? is it matt, glass cloth,roving and back to matt?until you get the desired thickness? or is there a formula for length of boat like for example that 36'jersey styled boat maybee 3/4'' to 1'' for the bottom and sides about 1/4'' somthing like that.

5. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

sequence of glass: i.e. layup schedule

layup sequence from outside in:
    gel-coat
    mat
    mat
    roving
    mat
    roving
    mat
    ..................to the deisired thickness................
    yes, size of boat determines thickness (consult you local NA)
    ..........scantling rules apply to all boats.....................

6. Dan Ellison

Dan Ellison Junior Member

It seems that the glass industy is full of theives so be VERY careful who you deal with. Don't use ANYONE in lake havasu az. I have documentation to back up my claims. Get it in writing with a legal contract with deadlines and penalties and don't pay anything up front. Make sure that parts don't get backdoored out of your molds. I could go on and on about this industry. Just my opinion of course. COVER YOUR A____

7. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

Sounds like MIAMI<<< We have everything on hold right now but Im still working on a nice Sporty in my mind.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.