How Much Does it Cost to Marinize a Kubota?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by CatBuilder, Feb 3, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I said this as well, but someone said they could be as quiet as fresh water cooled. Hard to believe, but I think it was Fast Fred, who, I have seen, knows his stuff on engines.

I may have to stick with fresh water cooled since I understand it and I know it's quiet.

Just need to find a reasonable place to purchase a very small marinized Kubota.

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

It's fan cooled,so no keel cooler for the engine itself...just very good fanned ventilation.I'd imagine with a well built sound box it could be as quiet as a water cooled engine..

But I don't know how air cooling would work vs moist salt water getting in everywhere....hence my "it's a shame aircooled won't fit the bill"

That said,there were many Deutz air cooled marine engines used in the past

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Evacuating heat from the inside of a boat is energy intensive. After the powerplant is shut down the heat spikes. Using the energy that you just generated and stored in your battery banks to remove this heat is a loosing game.

A very good detail for Cat to design into his boat, in addition to normal high volume evacuation, is a low power heat evacuation system of ducts molded into the underside of the deck , engine rooms, battery banks , electric component rooms and exhausted with a low power extractor. If possible use the mast or any tall details like radar arches and dingy davits as the exhaust pipe.

I am constantly battling with overheated battery chargers and inverters

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

actually best plan I ever heard for coolant was to run a pipe railing around the deck and heat it with the coolant, enough coolant later and you don't need a radiator, the surface area of the pipe will do the trick and keep your fingers all toasty warm as well.

you could also heat exchange it for hot water on board. but that's weight you might not want.

As I mentioned when I fire up the diesel next I'll turn on the big tank pump and fill the oil jacket around the exhaust tube while its running. That way you can hear the effect as it muffles the vibration in the pipe, which is what transmits the sound.

Anyway do what you will, just thought I'd mention it.

CHeers
    B

5. groper

groper Senior Member

all far too complicated IMHO... KISS and you win...

The ocean is a massive heat sink, use it... im sure ive read somewhere that you are handy with refirgeration catbuilder? If so, why not make your own copper heat exchangers? very simple to do... some people use these for hot water when camping out bush, made instantaneously (once the engine is warm) from engine heat from your car...
    http://www.glind.com.au/index.php/Heat-Exchangers.html

read the details if youve never seen these before...theyre pretty common here tho... see the marine version for $265, exchanges 65000 BTU /hour and weighs 2kg... im pretty sure they will make you custom exchangers designed for the heat load you specify... theres many others that do this too... only catch is, the engine needs to be warm and running when you want the hot water... an instantaneous gas system is a nicer method of hotwater for showers IMHO... these can be had for a couple hundred dollars and weigh about 8kg + the gas bottle. A small bottle lasts a long time too...
    I would go for the water cooled exhaust, im sure a local car exhaust shop could fabricate you something custom for a kubota. Simply tap the engine coolant waste water into a jacket on teh exhaust... all shiny custom stainless... wouldnt cost all that much if you find an honest exhuast shop...

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"After the powerplant is shut down the heat spikes. Using the energy that you just generated and stored in your battery banks to remove this heat is a loosing game. "

Not in cool weather where a small circ pump and a box heater can keep the cabin warm for many hours.

The lowest cost used Kubotas or Yanmars in the under 30 hp area can be found used at the local Big truck reefer repair shop.

Their oversized oil pans are a delight .

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

These people make fresh water closed exhaust systems (manifolds ) for most any engine.
    http://www.mesamarine.com/#Marinization Kits
    You can find good after market heat exchangers, any size on the web. They are not real expensive.

8. CatBuilder

Now that's some helpful info, Mr Rasor! Thanks!

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

CatBuilder, I contacted them a couple of years ago by phone and forget who I talked to,
    re: manifolds for a 6 cyclinder Subaru boxer engine. It was a unique engine and would be a one off, so the price was high as a lot of casting to do for only 1 and no chance for them to sell others. They were very helpful. JUST HAVE TO SEND THem a skymatic drawing or a trace out pattern or a template if they exist.

10. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

That said,there were many Deutz air cooled marine engines used in the past

Diesels are noisy!!

Think of a 2 cylinder gas Wisconson, or a similar sized 10-20HP Honda , nice and quiet.

And would cost far less than the gear to marinize any diesel.

Most will run 2000 hours , and then be replaced , rather than repaired.

The Sea atmosphere is no problem , just no direct sea spray .

FF

12. CatBuilder

I'm willing to consider that. Where would i mount it so that it is quiet? How would it stay cool? I just installed a new one of those on my rv after the old one died and since I'll likely have outboards too, I'll have big gas tanks to draw from.

13. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Look on the Wisconson site for duct sizes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.