How Much Does it Cost to Marinize a Kubota?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by CatBuilder, Feb 3, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I am still working on the model of engine. It depends on the power required by the two AC compressors and other hardware I'm adding - and if I want to run more than one of the systems at one time.

The models will either be Kubota Z602 or D722.

Prices are $3000USD in the States for the engine - new.

2. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

now you do see an Isuzu C240 diesel.
    an engine is indestructible.
    Completely revised costs 1500 euros and will surely last longer which the cat on will be mounted.

at 2000 rpm gives you 50 hp with a fuel consumption of 12 liters per hour.
    The torque is frightening.

It was mounted on CJ7, in the U.S. find what you want at low prices.

I'd put it on skid metal soundproofed, with inside ALL: electrical generator and hydraulic pump.

Outboard: it can feed them without any problems if you use hydraulic motors.

RPN 3000, 3-cylinder ... be damned.

would thus eliminated the specific electric generator motor, removed oil filters and fuel filters and replace them with others, easily accessible.
    Pulling a few pipes, could completely remove the skid in a moment.

in skid, if desired, you could install a serius sprinkler system.
    But this is my opinion ...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. CatBuilder

Are you familiar with performance catamarans?

Weight is the most important factor. This engine is nearly twice the size of the engine I would use if I had diesel inboard propulsion

Do you know what a Kubota D602 or D722 is?

12 liters per hour is garbage. I am looking at engines with 1 gallon per hour max, half a gallon if you throttle them back.

Why would you even suggest this huge Isuzu. You did not put any thought into the application of the engine at all for this post. :confused:

Please look up what a Kubota D602 is before posting any more engine suggestions. Thank you.

4. Gian Milan

The engine weighs 97 kg against 60 of the Kubota.
    How would save weight on outboard, which would
    only need a hydraulic motor?

5. CatBuilder

WTF are you talking about? An Isuzu C240 weighs 223KG!

I realize we do not speak the same language, but it is like your are not even reading the posts (or the C240 spec sheet).

Please read carefully:

1) My boat has no hydraulic motors. It will have outboards.
    2) My boat has no running gear (propellers) below the waterline when sailing
    3) This engine, as stated earlier in the thread, is to power HVAC compressors, a watermaker pump and a high output alternator - ONLY. It will also be hooked up to circulate coolant into a marine hot water heater.
    4) The boat mains/AC power comes from solar 99% of the time. If low, you fire up the 60Kg Kubota.
    5) It is 16-20HP or so (still working on this) and uses less than one gallon per hour.

I do not need help in selecting an engine and you did not answer my question to you about where to source the parts to marinize a Kubota D602.

Well, the internet has pissed me off for the night. MAS employees in one thread, a guy who isn't even reading the posts in this thread. Good night.

6. Gian Milan

[WTF are you talking about? An Isuzu C240 Weighs 223KG!]

Complete with gearbox and clutch.
    Should be removed as other useless things on a marinized.
    I have weighed it, naked and dry ....
    Monday, however, for the sake, weight again and I send you a picture.

[1) ...............
    2) .............
    3) .....................
    4) ...............
    5) ...............

.... I do not need help in Selecting an engine ..........]

I tried to give you a hypothesis towards which several are addressed in: single generator trivalent (oil, electricity, compressed air) and derivatives not internal combustion.
    I'm sorry I made you mad for it.

[..... you did not answer my question to you about where to source the parts to marinize Kubota D602.]

I told you that several artisans make this type of work and I offered to send you pictures, if you was interested
    I don't think you need the phone number of someone who does not even have a website...
    My English sucks and irritates you because you do not understand what I try to tell you.
    Your tones are not better than my English.
    do so.
    Neither needs the other, do not write again, u do the same, we don't quarrel.

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"In a closed engine room you will have to much heat buildup."

Not so,
    There are many styles of insulation that can contain the exhaust manifold heat.
    From the cheap asbestos wrap to fine manufactured fitted jackets that really work.

No sea water is required , no pump, no wet manifold , no exhaust riser no muffler , no extra holes in the boat, no dangerous sea water oil cooler.

The best Kubota for conversion come from refrigerated truck units.
    These have HUGE!!! oil pans , as the unit may run for 10 days , with zero driver attention.

Extra large air inlets can weigh nothing extra , and an exhaust fan with the engine on costs almost nothing.

We use Mercedes Benz radiator cooling fans (same price as any any in the scrap yard) which are quiet and well made.Spray proof , but not dunkable.

FF

8. CatBuilder

Wow! Now this is what I was looking for. Something simple.

I had thought I had seen non-cooled exhaust manifolds on my old Perkins - maybe. Everything was wrapped in fiberglass heat tape and water was injected before the hot exhaust got into the plastic exhaust riser box or whatever that's called.

So Fast Fred, do you have this type of setup in your boat?

Are there any tricks? How many CFMs do you put through to keep this engine cool?

You have a normal seawater intake and heat exchanger for engine coolant, correct?

9. CatBuilder

Oh, and sorry Gian. I was getting frustrated because we were not communicating well.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sounds like a lot of effort just to get the exhaust wet. why not just run a dry exhaust and save the 5k

11. CatBuilder

I definitely want to!

I've never done that though. Need some help and tips. Need to figure out how to set up a dry exhaust, have it be quiet and keep the engine cool.

Do you still use a raw water pump and heat exchanger with dry exhaust I assume?

12. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Cat, maybe a diesel electric drive could save a lot of weight by using one generator to power the drives (retractable Aziprops) and also power the HVAC + watermaker + etc. Also only one fuel on board and even cooking + oven + BBQ could be electric.

As for some info about the original question of the thread, here some marine generators with the Kubotas of you named, see page 24 till 27 for their marinize details, just linked for the marinize info, for other genrator outputs use the button "Generator Navigator".

Good luck!
    Angel

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

which raises an interesting point that probably shouldn't interrupt this thread. Does a diesel electric system make up for the weight cost by reducing the type of fuels needed to run every thing and eliminating the need for a secondary gen set. Assuming our going to loose the gen set in response to going diesel electric.

whats the weight savings vs whats the weight cost ?

anyone worked through that one yet ?

14. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Diesel electric has been beaten to death about 200 times in the Hybrid section.

A-No

B-Heavier

C-Yes..see A & B

Cat had a couple threads about DE and gave up on it.

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not sure where you're looking Cat, but I can get a 21 HP Kubota (Nanni) with a ZF 2-3R transmission or a similar Twin Disk for about 6K, fully marinized, with heat exchanged, manifolds, filters, mounts, pumps, control hookups, basic control panel, the whole lot.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.