How much does it cost to build wharram 55?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pironiero, May 12, 2021.

1. pironiero

pironiero Coping

How much does it cost to build wharram 55? approximately, ofcourse.

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

$200,000 is a good guess, depends on fitouts

for a yard to do it add a hundred k or two

just the insurance survey will be like $2-3k

3. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

If fall guys numbers are correct that's the cheapest 55 cat in existence.

Poly is up 22% since January, marine ply makes gold bricks look like a bargin, and my metal supplier has dropped his month quote life down to 3 days.....

Our old rule of thumb for fairly spartan rigged commercial boats (sans gear) was 1k usd per foot. Aside from a few home built boats they have been tracking 2x to 3x that.

fallguy likes this.
  4. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

100 sheets of B/BB birch ply, 1 cubic meter select siberian larch, 400l epoxy resin + hardener, 50l of paint. Miscellaneous interior fittings, plumbing, electric, electronics, engine, sails and rigging. Add building space, tools, consumables.
    Do the math at local prices.

5. pironiero

pironiero Coping

huh, thats....more than ive expected

6. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Boats are buildt by weight. The Islander 55 is declared at 7t lightship. If I am beeing generous and allow 2t for the fitout, that still leaves 5t of material for the structure. Plywood weighs anywhere between 500 (poplar, ocoume) and 750kg/cum (birch, meranti), larch is 580-650kg/cum. All that ply must be at least coated with epoxy if not fiberglassed, you have hundreds of meters of filleting, etc. These are all weights of the finished article, you need to add all the material you trow away, but wich you also must buy.
    The last 2t can be the most expensive, electronics, engine, sails, etc.

The reason monohulls can be cheaper then multihulls is because part of their weight is in ballast. Even if the ballast is "expensive", it is still very cheap. Lead is approx 2$/kg, plus casting, with iron the manufacturing is more expensive then the material.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am coming up on the end of a top of the line materials and fitout build. Cost is about $4500 a foot, give or give.

4500 x 55 = 247,500

But my build used pretty fancy stuff..

I think @comfisherman is probably closer to accurate. So much depends on things like will she have autopilot. $3000 goes in a hurry for a fancy mfd..

Even a fridge for that boat is gonna run $2k or so. I got a really small one for $1200 for a two person cruiser. It won't hold two weeks of provisions.

I got killed on all the metal stuff. Budget missed by thousands.

You won't save much going cheap on the hulls. But right now all building commodities are bizarre. Unsustainable. Global recession is likely if prices don't drop soon.