how much casual fishing is allowed from private little sailboats on high seas?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Sailing from CA to Hawaii, or FL to Bahamas, across the Atlantic, in the Med, etc?

How legal is it to have a fishing line trailing and is it a real big deal what you catch, if you eat it more less immediately?

First thing I notice is this DOES NOT seem to be a popular subject in Sailboat Media. I've have thought it would be a standard section of any Sailboat mag or website, with pics of catch, how you cooked it, past and expected fish patterns of popular routes, fish you can't buy in stores but might catch on a two month voyage across an ocean, etc.

Would I be better off trying to design, build and certify my own commercial passenger jets than figure out all the fishing regs that might apply?

Is this something we aren't supposed to talk about? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting,_shoveling,_and_shutting_up

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I always carry at least one line behind. There is no regulation that I know of in international waters. Also, there is no one to enforce them.

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Just eat the evidence;)

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

What and where have you had luck catching? Mean time between bites?

Lots of fishing Treaties, and even some recent "wars" between Iceland and UK, but do they all only apply to commercial or maybe sales over a certain tonnage?

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Gawd, don't worry about bureaucrats out there, it is the only place you get any relief from them ! I'd expect the most likely catch would any of a wide range of tunas, though they bite best on feather lures towed at much higher speeds. The Dorado is probably going to be a common catch in warmer waters.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I've caught tuna, dolphin, wahoo, salmon, rays, etc. In places like the Gulf of Mexico I caught fish every day. In the mid Atlantic, maybe every three days or so.

8. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

99% of the sea has absolutely nothing in it. Where there is something, there are always big toothy somethings. So a little shrimp on a hook still needs a 1800# - 2500# wire leader about 20 feet long if you want to keep it, or use a 60# leaders as a fuse if you don't want to bother with saving the hook. After that, 500# wire is usually good enough. I just use a "Cuban yoyo". If it has another more politically correct name, I'll edit it.

When you're delivering a completely detailed yacht, you'll sail right through a school of bull dolphin. When you have friends on your 80's cruiser and a grill on the rail, you'll get a couple ladyish and jack cravalle.:rolleyes: If you want something less of a crapshoot, use a speargun.

http://thescuttlefish.com/2014/04/this-is-the-best-handline-fishing-kit-for-sailors-for-around-100/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.