Recommended software for Westlawn?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Fracture, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Fracture

Fracture Junior Member

Hi there everyone, i am seriously looking at doing Westlawn naval architecture next year, and am wondering what is the best type of CAD or other software programme to get, but trying to stay on the cheaper side (i dont want to spend $$thousands!!)

Also while i am here, how difficult is the course? I will do it via correspondance, i will be doing the 2 year yacht design course.

Thanks

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I'm sure someone with actual Westlawn experience will speak up here.... but from my understanding the drawings are mostly done the traditional way, on paper or drafting films.

3. dgerr

dgerr Senior Member

Mastering CAD is integral to the Westlawn program; however, before you can become a fully competent designer and a skilled CAD draftsman, you need to master basic manual drafting. For this reason, manual drafting is taught and required for all Westlawn lessons in the first year (Module 1).

Starting with Module 2 (the 2nd year) students may submit CAD drawings as they choose, and most gradually submit more and more work in CAD as they progress through Module 2. By the final exam for Module 3, CAD is required. All of Module 4 and the final-exam/graduation thesis (two complete boat designs) must be wholly done in CAD.

This approach gives students three years to master CAD during the standard four-year Westlawn program. Some students have never touched CAD and three years is a generous time to become familiar with the different CAD packages and to learn how to use them. Other students are already expert in CAD and quickly go to all CAD starting with Module 2.

The Westlawn course material includes detailed discussion of CAD, the various software packages, and their uses. This is a complex subject and we urge our students not to rush into purchasing a suite of CAD software before they’ve become familiar with the Westlawn coursework and have had time to review the software-package options and discuss this subject with their instructor.

Students are allowed to use any CAD package they wish, but Westlawn generally recommends AutoCAD for standard drawing simply because it is the most common program in use and thus mastering AutoCAD enhances your employability. In addition to this, a hull-fairing program is needed and a general-purpose 3D modeler is recommended. Rhino is the most common.

It doesn’t hurt to get AutoCAD and start learning it early, but—again—don’t rush into purchasing CAD software until after you have received the course information on CAD with your enrollment material and you have had time to give this complex subject careful consideration with this information as a guide.

Oh yes, there’s another good reason not to rush into purchasing CAD software before you enroll: Once you are an active student, you will be eligible for very substantial student discounts on CAD software (and on other software too).

Dave Gerr
    Director
    Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology
    www.westlawn.edu

4. Fracture

Fracture Junior Member

That clears me up then! Thanks for your help. I dont think there are any more questions, well for now...

5. Fracture

Fracture Junior Member

Hi everyone, just another question, mainly for dgerr, if i do the yacht design lite course and complete it, can i transfer fo the main yacht design course? Would it be different if i werent to do the YDL course? If you get that...!
    Thanks
    Lee

6. dgerr

dgerr Senior Member

Yacht Design Lite (YDL) students can transfer into the full Yacht Design Program with no repeat of course material and no extra costs. On completion of YDL, you simply enroll in Module 2 (the 2nd year). A standard transfer program is in place for this.

YDL students qualify for the same student discounts on software as students in the full Yacht Design Program. In fact, all Westlawn students (even those in our continuing-education courses) are eligible for student discounts.

Dave Gerr
    Director
    www.westlawn.edu

7. Fracture

Fracture Junior Member

Ok so by doing YDL its equivelent to module 1? And by doing YDL and modules 2,3 and 4 it can still be done in 2 years? (saying everything taking 6 months)
    Its just i want to start with something to see what the naval architecture career is like (a taster), not commiting myself and money all at once.
    Thanks again

8. dgerr

dgerr Senior Member

YDL doesn’t replace Module 1. There a standard process; however, for transferring from YDL to Module 2 and finishing the full Yacht Design Program for those who wish to do this. Please contact Westlawn directly for details.

Dave Gerr
    Director
    www.westlawn.edu

9. joz

joz Senior Member

Fracture

I know for a fact that here in Australia that some computer software places give a student discounts this is usually around about 50% of the total purchase price provided that you show them some sort of student ID. This is worth invetsigating were you are.

10. Fracture

Fracture Junior Member

Thanks, i will be sure to look into it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.