Question about Infusion

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by adam_designer, May 12, 2011.

1. adam_designer

adam_designer Junior Member

Hi guys, I'm newbie in this forum , me and my friend now developing resin infusion for our future small project. We have several question here .

1. We are using FGI Polyplex Resin. we know that Suitable resin for infusion is vinylester but nuplex regional distributor is not yet distribute it. the results looks good, glassy, it has approx 60% of fiber cloth content. and still trying to get >60% fiber content. What is the different of using polyester resin and vinyl? do we have better/signofocant material properties by infusing polyester than hand laid process-polyester?

2.Is The addition of Styrene to thin polyester is drawnback the composite quality, or if it has tolerant amount, how many percent is that?

3. The catalys we use is 9H Norox, it has less than 1 hour gel time. but next time we will try to use 925H (that promises longer gel time) what is your suggestion?

4. The resin flow during infusion is very slow, because we also use CSM previously. approx we need about 30 minutes to do 80 cm longitudinal flow.

5. The vacuum level is 730 mmHg on Resin Trap Gauge, And about 660 on resin port inlet.

We need suggestion of yours. Thanks people.

2. adam_designer

none help me..... T_T

++****** crying

3. latman

latman Junior Member

You should use CFM (Continuous filament mat) if you want the laminate to also be the flow media , and if you use CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) it should be in concert with a dedicated flow media over your laminate, With peelpy or perforated film between IMO

1)the resin type has nothing to do with the % fibre you get . VE is supposed to have less shrink and more toughness (elongation till break)compared to PE

2)I would never add more styrene to thin it further, it already has lots, we were suprised hom much better 1 brand of VE resin was compared to another *That we were given for free)

3)Use the catalysts they recommend for that resin

4) I suggest make the flow quicker and use a faster gelling resin if possible

1 person likes this.
  4. adam_designer

Hi latman thanks for feedback. Yes we are not goin to use CSM, but just make it for ouuter skin and hand laid. then plied with infusion DB. well thanks alot for feed back but some people said that longer geltime would results better curing composites, and you suggest me to decrease it, why should be faster then? thanks a lot anyway

5. latman

latman Junior Member

Slower gelling should theoretically give less shrinkage and print ,but the Vacuum has to stay on for the whole time and can also give more time for the gelcoat to tripe( called alligatoring in some parts). If your geltime is faster then a small undetected leak is less disastrous IMO as well as shrinkage and print being minimal anyway.

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

1. already answered
    2. no more styrene please, unless you know what you are doing.
    3. you could use Norox MEKP925H, or for better final cure use a MEKP/AAP mixture (ask your supplier, I do not have all Syrgis product numbers in my head.
    4. you could design in a CFM instead of a CSM. CSM is very slow in infusion.
    5. Generate more vacuum. My experience is that with a full vacuum and a leak-free bag, you get the nicest parts.

Selamat Makan.