west systems or fiberlay epoxy?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by minno, Feb 14, 2015.

1. minno

minno Junior Member

Hi All

Fiberlay and West Systems are the only brands available locally, just wondering which is better ?

Thanx

minno

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Fiberlay is a China made epoxy and about the same price as West System. The physical properties are similar, but I have not practical experience with Fiberlay. The regular formulation from Fiberlay is a 2:1 mix, which makes things easy. Given the price of both, you might want to consider ordering goo on line and much better pricing can be had, even after shipping costs with "Marinepoxy" from Bateau.com and some of the formulations from EpoxyProducts.com. These are typically half the price of West, with the same physical attributes.

3. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

I second "Marinepoxy" and have used it for several parts of my boat. A touch thick for lamination (takes longer to soak in) vs thinner laminating resin, but works well and has good cured properties.

4. minno

minno Junior Member

Hi All

thanks guys :)

I live in Canada so by the time I paid exchange, shipping, duty, and brokerage fees I wouldn't save much.

the only price I've seen locally was about $140 CAD/gal (~$112 USD) for west system, I'll have to see if I can find a deal in Canada, I'll probably buy locally though, just because my plywood will be here in two days and I really really want to get started :) I'll certainly plan ahead and buy online next time, I suspect that this is only my First boat, which is why I'm buying enough epoxy for two:)

Thanks again for your help

Take Care

minno

5. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

Minno,FWIW, I got all my foam from Canada and a lot of infusion materials as well. It was cheaper than the USA, including all taxes and shipping.

Trade between the 2 countries is a snap. Definitely look at all of North America next time.

Noah's seems to be an ok supplier in your country.

6. minno

minno Junior Member

Thanks Snowbirder, I'll definately keep an eye on the marinepoxy and order some when I get low and shop around for foam ect.
    , thanks for pointing me toward noahs, good name for someone who's building wooden boats, very reassuring :)

the boat I'm building calls for 2 quarts and I intend to build two :) after that I'd like to try something bigger, unless of course building the Duo turns into a complete cluster..., well goes really badly :)

Take Care

minno

7. FMS

FMS Senior Member

When cost is no issue I choose West System. Never had any issue with mixing or curing or anything else with West.

8. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

not sure how prices and total costs compare be we (progressive epoxy polymers inc) sell a good bit of our non hazmat Premium No Blush marine epoxy to boat folks in Canada. Being non hazmat it goes by US mail without problem in customs etc.

Our more common Basic No Blush marine epoxy, like 98% of epoxies is considered hazmat - can ship by gound only at no extra cost - but gets lost in customs so we don't sell outside the US lower 48. We do ship it to a lot of US border adresses (including UPS stores) and customer can walk it across the border.

Most of our customers are ex-WEST folks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.