Strike 15 trimaran build

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by joej88, Jan 13, 2013.

1. joej88

joej88 Junior Member

I have some pictures of the build so far. Note that the hull bottom has not been faired to the lines yet. I want to make sure it meets the hull sides when I do the dry fit soon. Look at that beautiful douglas fir grain! Both the okoume plywood and douglas fir have been fantastic to work with. I can't believe I debated using cheaper lumber and plywood.

Last night I epoxied the daggerboard box assembly to the hull bottom. I thickened the epoxy to about jam consistency then applied it to the bottom of the daggerboard case and screwed it down on the hull bottom. There was some squeeze out but not a lot. I just now read that it is recommended to wet pieces with unthickened epoxy before applying the thickened epoxy. Will this be a strong enough bond to withstand the shocks from the daggerboard and other flexing and keep the hull bottom attached to the daggerboard box assembly?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

congratulations on your progress so far, I'll be watching your build with interest.

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Joe,

If you wet out the wood with unfilled epoxy first, then use the filled epoxy, that is the strongest method.
    The unfilled epoxy makes the best joint directly to the wood, then the filled epoxy is stronger material and sticks perfectly to the unfilled resin. Works best if you do it all at once. If you let the unfilled cure, you need to sand or clean off the surface of the resin.

I'll also be watching the build.

Marc

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Looking good! Keep us posted

What I do when making an epoxy joint is to use "neat" epoxy to wet out the plywood and then thicken it up and use the thickened epoxy on the timber. As I have limited boatbuilding skills I tend to use screws rather than rely on clamps to hold the pieces while the glue cures. I then usually remove every other screw, don't forget to fill all the holes!

Still some way off, but I've been having some good discussions with these people for the sails

http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/servlet/StoreFront

In my opinion Sailrite gave too a high price for their kit sails

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

5. joej88

joej88 Junior Member

I absolutely have to be on the water as soon as ice out! If we can get the sail panel dimensions worked out for a straight aluminum mast, I'll just sew my own if I have to! Have you ever worked with the free program sailcut?

6. joej88

joej88 Junior Member

Thank you Marc, I suppose I'll just have to go with what I have already done. It seems like its getting a great bite to the wood with the fillets. Maybe I'll just glass it over with some heavier double bias mat and hope for no delamination or failure with impact.

7. Brian2009

Brian2009 Junior Member

I am also building a Strike 15 and I am at about the same stage - dagger board assembly glassed onto the bottom hull panel, side panels done and ready to assemble the hull.

I glassed the inside of the dagger board assembly with 6 oz cloth. When I turn the hull, I plan to cut out the bottom of the dagger board slot and glass from the bottom of the hull up into the inside of the slot. This will create a water tight sleeve from inside of the box to the outside of the hull. (I also have a layer of 6 oz on the hull bottom for a little extra abrasion protection).

Next I will fit a rectangular piece into the bottom of the slot that is contoured to match the future board, and glue it into place, effectively minimizing the opening.

I won't make much additional progress for the next week or two since the temperature in my garage really falls when it gets below 0 degrees F outside.

8. joej88

joej88 Junior Member

Well, this is turning out to be a race to have the first(likely second to Richard) sailing strike 15!

Have you thought about doing any modifications to yours? I really want to make the cockpit wider so me and my girlfriend could sleep side by side(It would still be a tight fit!)

I hear you on the heated garages with negative temps. My landlord is starting to ***** at me about turning the electric heater off. Like I really care, I'm gonna have a trimaran.

9. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Hello Brian, good trunk procedure. I've had good results with similar small boat builds. I like to make the bottom board bearing/slot filler out of plastic for smoother use under load. If you use nylon try to get black for better UV resistance.

10. Brian2009

Brian2009 Junior Member

Thanks for the thoughts on plastic; a very good idea. I was just going to consider the wood "plug" semi-sacrificial.

I've made a few minor modifications, the width of the cockpit (+6 or so inches) and a small reduction of the cross slope on the cockpit seating being a few. My thoughts were similar - a little more width and flat area for sleeping, plus a little more room to stretch my legs.

I hope to be done by spring, but I suspect the ammas will take a little while once the plans are available, and my schedule may be optimistic.

Where are the "twin cities" located that are referenced in your signature line?

11. joej88

joej88 Junior Member

Twin cities are in Minnesota. Saint Paul as the capitol but the larger Minneapolis right across from it. Have you figured out a mast/sail combo yet?

12. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I think thats 3 of you with no pictures. Help me please!

13. joej88

joej88 Junior Member

I got pictures! I did a dry fit of all the bulkheads and pulled the hull panels together and everything looks good. I'll be filleting and glassing the hull together starting this week. I'll upload those pictures soon!

14. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

15. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Don't know why but I couldn't get the video to run.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.