How long takes engineer study in your country

Discussion in 'Education' started by =D=, Feb 9, 2006.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

In Australia and New Zealand

3 Years for a Bachelor of Technology BTech
    4 years for a bachelor of engineering BEng which is fully compliant with professional status and recognised in the US.

I hope this helps

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Likewise in South Africa...

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

In Ontario: A B.Eng or B.Sc.E degree (4 years) to get your Iron Ring, then typically about 5 years after that you can be fully qualified as a P.Eng. Many will do a Master's either right away or after a few years of work; an M.Eng takes anywhere from 2-5 years on average.

4. bhabanism

bhabanism Junior Member

India

In INDIA it's exactly 4 years for B. Tech in NA , 2 years for M. Tech and 5 years for Dual Degree (B Tech and M Tech combined)

5. Nels Tomlinson

Nels Tomlinson Junior Member

Bhabanism, in the U.S., a technology degree is considered to be slightly less, or at least slightly different, than an engineering degree. I'm told the technology degree involves a bit less ``why'' and a bit more ``how'' than the engineering degree. Is the Indian Tech degree comparable to the U.S. engineering degree? That is, does ``Tech'' mean engineering?

Also, can you enter a U.S. graduate school of engineering with the B. Tech, or do you need the M. Tech? I ask because I know that the U.S. graduate schools (at least the ones I know about) generally consider an Indian masters degree to be equivalent to a strong U.S. BA or BS degree, but they consider the Indian BA to be inadequate preparation for graduate study. I'm wondering if that's true in engineering as well as other fields.

6. bhabanism

bhabanism Junior Member

B. Tech

Nels Tomlinson, When I speak of B.Tech in Naval Architecture from INDIA then I mean it to be from IIT (Indian Institute of Technology). Presently there are 7 IITs in India out of which 2 IITs offer B. Tech Courses in Naval Architecture and these degree are accepted in US. The BSc degree from other universities are not accepted in US but B.Tech Degrees from IITs are at par with top Universities of the world.

7. hcuppen

hcuppen New Member

TU Delft

In Holland it won't take you less than 5 years. Though the program from TU Delft (Where Vrolijk studied for ex.) is of 3+2 (Bsc, Msc)years, the average goes around 7,5 years to finish the program. For instance: from the 58 people who started in 2002, only one received his Bachelor degree last september.

Hard, very hard. It makes you tough, from braking you over and over again.

8. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

In Spain:
    3 years + end of studies project, for a bachelor.
    5-6 years + end of studies project, for a master.
    You cannot go from bachelor to master directly. You need an intermediate adapting year.
    For a master in NA it takes around 8 years in a row at university to pass...:(

This will change now, in the wake of Bolonia agreements (EU).
    Probably (But with many uncertainties yet):
    3 years + end of studies project, for a bachelor
    2 more years + end of studies project, for a master
    You'll be able to go directly for a master without the extra year.

For the NA's we are studying nowadays the possibility of adding a working period (3 years?) previous to get the chartered status.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.