How is deadrise measured?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mr__Bean, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Mr__Bean

Mr__Bean New Member

Hello all,

Please excuse my ignorance here, but how and where is the deadrise of a boat measured.

Whilst I hear the term used frquently, I have never really understood what it means.

Thank you,

- Mr Bean

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

The deadrise is the angle of the V on a hull, and is measured from one half of the hull's rise from keel to chine against the horizontal. (19 degrees deadrise= 19 degree angle up from horizontal) When someone mentions a boat's deadrise, they're usually talking about the angle at the transom, though deadrise can refer to the angle at any point along the hull. Most folks refer to the deadrise at the bow as the "entry".

3. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

But if someone were to say a boat has a 20 degree entry, that would be the half-angle in the horizontal plane (i.e. the angle between the waterline and the midships line), would it not?

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Are you refering to midship as in fore and aft, or the keel. If you're refering to the keel and the chine (waterline, more or less) then your statement is correct.

5. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

It depends...

Hello...

A lot of guys measure deadrise as the angle anywhere along the hull that roughly matches the flat of the hull from its main chine against a vertical thru its station lines...

Deadrise is the above - angle against the vertical thru stations - taken anywhere and in case of high speed power boats it is measured at what is some times called the ride plane or pad - the aft stations where a properly trimmed boat rides at speed...

SH.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.