Howto: Import sailing yacht from USA to EU?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by B33RND, Sep 24, 2009.

1. B33RND

B33RND Member

I am planning to buy a second hand sailing yacht at Chicago, USA, and import it to the UK.

As I have never done this before I would like to ask you some advise how to do and where to take care of: Is payment usually done via a local agent; what about VAT when importing to EU; is there a kind of refund of US tax when exporting; which shipping company is recommended for transport; etc. etc.

Thanks for any applicable information.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Payment is done by LC if you want to stay safe!
    VAT has to be paid on entry
    US tax will be refunded when the boat leaves the US

Call "Kühne & Nagel" (the largest and best worldwide) they handle it all for you! And much cheaper than you could handle it yourself!

Regards
    Richard

3. B33RND

B33RND Member

What means 'LC'?

Is that also the case with second hand boats?

Berend

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

I´m not sure about second hand goods, but it should be.

LC is Letter of Credit, that is the most reliable way for both parties in international trades to get what they have agreed.

You will not get the boat if the Bank does´nt pay the seller, he will not get your money until the boat is safe on board the freighter.

Call K&N as mentioned, they handle that for you.http://www.kn-portal.com/locations/
    if you do´nt like the Germans residing in Switzerland, go with the Austrians owned by Germans:http://www.schenker.com/

Regards
    Richard

5. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Don't forget to thoroughly research to what extent you will need to comply with the RCD in the EU.

6. B33RND

B33RND Member

Well, the boat I am focusing on is CE-A certified. I will at least make sure that this sheet of paper is available. Or are there more things to take care of??

Berend

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

No!
    And as long as you do not deal with boats even the CE cert is not that important.

Richard

8. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

If you register on the RYA site, they have a .pdf with all the information on it. There are quite a few issues including RCD compliance as well as managing to extract a VAT receipt from HMRC.

If you join the RYA, then their legal and technical departments are the best source of help.

9. B33RND

B33RND Member

I have been told that, when one imports a boat to the European Union, the VAT of the country visited first need to be paid. The VAT in UK is 15% and in the Netherlands is 20% (the Netherlands will be the new home country for the boat).

The actual reason for me to transport the yacht first to the UK is to save this 5% VAT. After the VAT have been paid in the UK I will take the boat anyway to the Netherlands. Once the VAT has been paid in UK I don't need to pay VAT in the Netherlands again.

This story is told to me by someone. Is that correct??

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

That is correct!

And do´nt bother with other regulations, they do´nt apply for a private used boat!

What kind of boat is it? any picture?

11. B33RND

B33RND Member

Perhaps you are willing to post this .pdf? I am Dutch and not registered.

Thanks in advance.

12. B33RND

B33RND Member

Ok, but do you know something about refund of USA VAT when exporting? Because that's the most interesting regulation in my case :) .

Picture: http://h.imagehost.org/view/0496/boat

13. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Here's the documents.

Attached Files:

14. B33RND

B33RND Member

Thank you very much. I will pass through them.

Berend

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ahh, a Fisher! Is it a 30 or 32?

I cannot elaborate on tax refunds in the US I just do´nt know.
    But why are´nt you asking K&N? Be sure you are unable to get the boat to Europe as cheap as they can, and it´s just a phone call.
    They can tell you the tel.# of the presidents concubine if you need that.

Richard