Plank on frame - why are new designs still offered?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Standpipe, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Standpipe

Standpipe Junior Member

I see modern plans for POF construction.Why? What is the benefit?

From what I've read POF requires great skill in construction and just as much with repair and upkeep.

Am I missing something?

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Because some folks prefer traditional plank on frame construction.

I don't have any personal experience but I've seen claims that for an experienced builder traditional plank on frame construction and some types of boats traditional plank on frame construction can take less time than strip planking or cold molding. Comparative costs depend on local material availability, and desired "quality" and level of finish. Repair can be easier and less expensive than some other types of hull construction.

As for skill required compared to other methods of boat building from what I understand considerable skill is also needed for some other types of boatbuilding such as welded aluminum.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Strip planking is very time consuming, but can use inferior grade lumber. Strip planking, at least the modern type, relies on adhesives that require fairly tight climate and quality control. Plank on frame can be built out in the weather.

4. Standpipe

Standpipe Junior Member

Thanks for answering my questions guys.

Never thought about buidling a boat outside in the weather - but it makes sense. In that case it sounds like POF is a salvation.

Just find it interesting that POF is still being done today.

http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/new-design/power/johnsbayboat32

I wonder how often the seams have to be tended to - and - how many yards can do that type of "old school" work today?

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Getting hold of quality timber today, reasonably affordably, would be difficult in many parts of the world.

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

And time consuming.. Commercially available POF timber is no more. In practice it means you have to find the trees, buy them, get them to sawmill (not many places can do quarter sawn) and dry the timber..

7. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

New caulking lasts decades before it needs to be redone. I would rather maintain a plank hull than a metal one. Everything has its pros and cons but I like the feel of a wood boat myself.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Depends on location. Along the Maine coast there are a number of yards which maintain plank-on-frame boats.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Plank on frame building is easier and usually faster then most other methods, so it's still employed. It's also easier to repair, compared to other methods. Seams can be "wedged" or spined, which can make many of the issues in carvels (POF) hulls go away. It's important to understand the subtle differences, advantages and disadvantages to each method, before grandiose statements can be made.

10. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

Having built a very modern, resin infused foam core boat recently, I can appreciate POF construction.

If cared for, the wooden boat can last indefinitely and the joy of not working with hazardous chemicals and itchy fiberglass definitely has its merits for the builder.

Also, to be able to technically find replacement hull parts in the most remote corners of the world has an appeal.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.