How flexible is gel coat?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Privilege, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Privilege

Privilege New Member

I'm fairly experienced with fiber-glassing but have only used gelcoat once when I made a large hard-top for my catamaran. I now want to make a lazy bag for my mainsail. I'm going to make a mold and use divinycel foam for structural strength. The thing is, I want to keep the weight down so the glassing will be fairly thin, maybe just a couple of layers of biaxial cloth with polyester resin. So, if I have a gelcoat outer surface, will the gelcoat withstand the slight flexing that will undoubtedly occur when the sail is raised and lowered? ...or am I better off painting it?

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

That's asking quite a bit of it. Gelcoat can take periodic flexing but regularly bending it is just asking for it to craze with cracks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I have no idea what a "lazy bag" is, but if you are using foam sandwich, the stiffness of it will pretty well guarantee minimal flex. But unless you are using a female mould and putting the gelcoat against that as the first stage of the lay-up, I don't see you would want to use gelcoat at all, paint would do. Gelcoat is also much more likely to crack if too thick, thinner gelcoat is more flexible.

4. Privilege

Privilege New Member

Thank you gents. Sounds like I'll stick to paint to be on the safe side.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.