How fast will it go?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Mark Emaus, Feb 23, 2009.

1. mudman

mudman Junior Member

First I've heard of them. The hub looks too big for my application (may catch alot of weeds), plus that composite wouldn't last too long for me when I get in oyster shells or sand. Good concept though, but it looks like it belongs on outboard raceboats.

The Tiger props that you are talking about are surface props and are designed to run half in half out of the water. We run em on the surface units. No good for a submerged deal, and forget about having reverse. Throws a rooster tail about 5 feet high. All commercial surface drive units do not come with reverse, except for the manufacturer of tiger props. They are talking about abandoning the reverse because it does not work. This was already known by the other 3 manufacturers. Check out mudmotor videos on youtube and see the difference of the 4 main manufacturers.

We've found that a good mud surface prop with good reverse capabalities is a regular SS mud prop whith extra heavy cup. Those prop guys work the prop to a sharp balde and cup it to death.

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

10 x 10 @4000 RPM, 65HP, 34 mph. Otherwise, exactly the same as mudman @ 5000 RPM.
    I would follow mudman's advice, He's been there. Also it's almost exactly what my software shows.

3. Mark Emaus

Mark Emaus Junior Member

Thanks Guys!
    Jango was that last thread for 2000lbs?

4. mudman

mudman Junior Member

I'd expect 10X10 to be about right for 4000 rpm. Personally, I run that thing at 5500 max. Probably never bring it there, but I'd prop it for that. Otherwise, the engine will stop at 4000 rpm and you'll still have 1/4 throttle left. Been there, done that.

Are you running a surface prop? I'm interested in how this will be set up.

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

YES, my last numbers are for 2000 lb

6. mudman

mudman Junior Member

7. Mark Emaus

Mark Emaus Junior Member

Mudman,

I appreciate your help. We have not finalized the exact way we want to go with. But to give you some background, we are looking at 2 different systems. One is a direct drive off a shaft and we will use a pulley system that is able to go into reverse. The other is a hyd system that will be eaiser to build, but is less effcient. Much advantages to this as I am not that interested in fuel effcientcy as power and mobility. Both systems will have a power trim system that we have designed. What prop manufactures do you recommend for props Mudman?

Mark

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.