Steering design fault ?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Vronsky, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Vronsky

Vronsky Junior Member

Dear All,
    Here's a picture of how the mechanical steering cable is attached to the OB on my Jeanneau boat >

20190907_170522.jpg

On the left, you see the cable coming out of the splashwell side. It makes a small curve to the tilt tube. Because of this curve, the ram cannot be taken out of the tilt tube, unless the engine is detached from the mounts.

In order to take the ram out of the tilt tube (for periodical cleaning/greasing as specified by Seastar) the cable needs to be attached in a straight line, without that curve. To resolve this problem, a new opening in the splashwell needs to be created directly opposite the tilt tube. Here's a picture where the little spot (laser pointer) indicates more-or less where that new opening would come >

20210220_130608.jpg

I wonder if creating a new opening (2 inches) on that spot is feasible as it is very close to the edge where the splashwell corners with the stern.
    Appears to me like a design fault, and I even wonder if a hydraulic system would be the proper solution for this situation.
    What's your opinion ?

Big thanks,
    V.

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Have you checked your manual? Normally there are three zerks in that area, two for the tilt and one for the steering.
    What year is your engine.

3. Vronsky

Vronsky Junior Member

Thanks...but I don't follow
    Motor is a 2017 Suzuki DF115a, steering is a mono cable type Seastar NFB Safe T 2

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

fallguy and Jimboat like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Most engines have 3 grease nipples on close to the steering tube
    One on each side for the pivot and one for the steering tube, wondered if you had checked the manual in case you have not found the one for the steering. On some engines, you have to remove the cowl to see it
    and sometimes they are the type that are not a grease nipple but an inverted dome that you need a special adapter to go on the end of your grease gun

6. Vronsky

Vronsky Junior Member

There are two grease nipples on the swivel bracket, on both ends of the tilt tube.
    Are you saying that these nipples grease the tilt tube, so the ram doesn't need to be taken out periodically, as the Seastar manual specifies ?

THANKS

7. Vronsky

Vronsky Junior Member

Any idea how to replace the grommet without engine removal ...?
    To get the cable aligned properly, the route of the cable will become a bit longer, so maybe needs a new cable I guess.
    Does your oblong grommet keep the water out ??

Thanks

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member

No, the two on the bracket are for the tilt hinge. But most outboard manufacturers have a third that will provide a port to the grease when the ram is extended.

9. Vronsky

Vronsky Junior Member

There is indeed a third port, but that one greases the swivel hinge.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can cut the grommet and glue the ends together.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.