Startup books on boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alex Gidi, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Alex Gidi

Alex Gidi Sailing to the end

Hello:
    I am a new member of the forum. I am a mechanical engineer with long experience in fluid-mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer and vibrations. Which has always been applied to Power Plants, Turbines, HVAC, Nuclear Reactors and Piping.

As a hobby, I am really interested in learning boat design, in particular sail boats of any size. Can you recommend two good books to start with ?. I have already looked into the list of books posted on the web site, but not having any knowledge in the topic, they do not mean much to me.

Thanks
    Yours truly
    Alex
    :confused:

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

The Elements of Boat Strength by Dave Gerr and Elements of Yacht Design
    by Norman L. Skene

3. Alex Gidi

Alex Gidi Sailing to the end

Books in boat/yatch design

Teddy:
    thanks for the help
    Alex

4. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Larsson, Eliasson: Principles of Yacht Design
    Glaughton...:Sailing Yacht Design, Theory and Sailing Yacht Design, Practice

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

" and books that told me everything about the wasp, except why." (Dylan Thomas)

As you are an engineer perhaps the books mentioned above will appeal and make sense. They explain much about how to engineer a boat. They explain almost nothing about design. Skene's would be the most useful in the "why" department.

6. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Kinney's version of Skene's...basically Kinney's and a second on Principals...especally for an engineer.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.